What does HTTP file 404 not found mean???

kiwifruit

Hi guys,
Ive been using channel 131.com website for a couple of weeks now and when I went to log onto it 3 days ago "oops !this link appears to be broken" and file 404 not found came up,hence,not allowing me access to this site. I know the site works as my mates are still watching it .What does this mean and is there anything I can do to be able to view this website again...and could anyone tell me how this happened in the first place.I supect it was because the last time i was watching it ,one of my brats,2yr old, turned off the laptop by pressing the standby button and when I went to log on again,it wouldnt allow me to connect!!Any way i can gain access again would be greatly apprecieated.
Ta,Kiwi

nothing you can do. this message is form the web server at 131.com website. Apparently the web page you are trying to load has been removed, or the link you are using is no longer valid.

you want look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404 for explanation.

Last edited:
Cheers, Does this mean that my mates are not able to watch this website aswell, are they pulling my leg when they say that they are still able to watch it????

Also,ive just read the wiki link you sent and I might as well have been looking into a field of thistles!!!!!!!whoosh,went straight over my head,anyway i thankyou for your reply and believe you when you say that i wont ever be able to watch channel 131 again,
#ta

Last edited:
...... Also,ive just read the wiki link you sent and I might as well have been looking into a field of thistles!....

Must say that I agree with you! A very poor wiki entry in my opinion.

What does http error 404 mean and how can I fixit? - Yahoo! Answers

You can't fix it, because it's not your problem, it's their (whatever you're trying to get to's) problem.

It means that the link is probably misdirected, or they moved the file, or something along those lines.

I'm also assuming you can get to other webpages, because you know, you're here asking. Even then, you'd get a completely different code if you were not connected to the internet.

Technically, 404 means the server is there, but whatever you're looking for isn't (or for some reason, you can't get to it because of something wrong on their end), but a lot of times, even if a server is not there at all, you'll get a 404 error.

Either way, there's not a lot you can do about it, except call or e-mail whoever's server it is and ask what the heck is wrong.

404 just means file not found.

The address you are looking for is deleted or no longer at that address.

if you have it in your favourites delete it completely and start from scratch again

Hi again, Im using my dads laptop at the minute and he has no problem in getting the channel 131 website to watch sitcoms/movies. How on earth will it not come up on my own laptop ?.I never had it in favs so cant delete it . It must be something to do with my own laptop,any ideas what the problem could be? It keeps coming up http file 404 not found,so contrary to other reports it has to be my end if other users can still access the site and the site is still the same as the last time i could use it.
any advice would be great,
kiwi

You may have a cookie issue. If using MS Internet, right click on the icon on the desktop and access properties. Delete all temp files and cookies. This will remove any historical access you had to the website. Try logging in again after you do this.

thanks Deas...that was spot on...I now have all my movies and sitcoms back on demand...Thankyou very much
Kiwi

Back