Conveyancing /solicitor query

D

dynaxdevotee

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum?

Basically we agreed a price for our conveyancing which was paid ages ago.

Due to the bank being difficult, i.e. hold-ups with several of the stage payments, there has "allegedly" been a lot more work involved than what was envisaged & our solicitor is consequently asking for more money.

I'm not sure where we stand - can this be done? ( TBH I'm not sure how much extra work has been involved; I'm going to ask for a breakdown of the additional costs. As far as I'm concerned he has done nothing to speed up any of the transactions)

Any thoughts welcome and appreciated.

You need that break down, of the first agreed price and then the additional costs.

I'm surprised that you have paid anything, the norm, i thought, was that on closing day after the receipt and clearing of the bank mortgage cheque, there is usually a refund due of some part of the deposit from the vendor, which goes to your solicitor and then he deducts his fee from that and pays you the balance. In my own case I had to put down a deposit of 10% but the mortgage was 92% so there was an overpayment by me of 2% which was returned to my solicitor...he then took his fee and sent me a cheque for what was left...

And as I always say...if the solicitor's explanations dont stand up, there's always the Law Society

Back