Applying for mortgage, advice needed

D

dalkener

Hi,

Recently went to EBS to inquire about a new mortgage as we would like to move from our apartment to a house. EBS practically told us to go away.

We have had a mortgage with EBS on the apartment for 5 years with not one missed payment, if we sold the apartment at present we would have 30k+ available.

I recently took voluntary redundancy and have started in a new role. I know we should have applied for mortgage while still in my previous position (8 years service) but was only given 2 days to decide whether to take it or not.

My wife earns 50k+ a year and my new role will earn 40K+. We were looking for a mortgage of approx 200,000 but EBS said they will not look at my earnings at all as I've only started in new job.

We both have our current accounts with ulster bank, anybody know what they're like at the moment?? Really ****ed off with the attitude of the guy in EBS, just didn't want to know and didn't advise any options at all....

Maybe try a broker - one option is for your wife to apply on her own for the mtge

For all lenders you will have to be off probation and full time before they will consider you for a mortgage. This usually means at least 6 months in a new job.

If you are going to move at some time in the future then you should consider selling now and locking in the profit.

dalkener - we've just got mortgage approval with ptsb. I'm not working since last year, husband earning similar to your wife. Our current mortgage is also with ptsb, history of overpaying and no other loans. We only got 160 but that's all we asked for, were told that on his salary we'd probably qualify for 210/220.

That will make no difference to the amount they can borrow, either way they are taking just one income into account. Normally both have to be on mortgage for family home anyway.

Back