Selling the house I recently bought

nsx

Recently bought a house with cash, unfortunately after moving in and living there for three months I don't think it's the right house for me and I'm struggling to settle into it, the house is just to big for me, the commute is taking a bit longer than I thought and I don't like a few other things about it that I overlooked when buying.
At the time I was buying it felt like good value given smaller similar houses were asking around the same price, so I paid the bit extra for the bigger house. I'm considering putting it back on the market and hope to get what I paid for it. I don't see the problem with having an estate agent advertise it and see what I can get for it? If I can get around what I paid I will sell.
I will go back to renting beside my job for a couple of years. I will lose the stamp duty I paid, solicitor fees, registry fees plus the fee for the estate agent to sell the house.

its very stressful trying to sell so soon after buying. Maybe a better alternative would be to rent it out for 12 months.

It might be just a problem with settling in. If so, then give it another few months.

If you have made a mistake and you are fairly sure that you have made a mistake, then it's best to cut your losses quickly and put it behind you. I see little point in renting out a house you don't want to live in. It will just restrict your ability to buy another house in future.

As you bought with cash, would you not consider taking out a mortgage and buying a more expensive home closer to where you work?

I regret now not taking out a mortgage and buying the better house closer to work. And I think this is what i will do now

It might be just a problem with settling in. If so, then give it another few months.

If you have made a mistake and you are fairly sure that you have made a mistake, then it's best to cut your losses quickly and put it behind you. I see little point in renting out a house you don't want to live in. It will just restrict your ability to buy another house in future.

As you bought with cash, would you not consider taking out a mortgage and buying a more expensive home closer to where you work?

Still considering this. I stand to lose the following IF i get back what i paid for it, which Im not sure i will today as i got caught up in a bidding war and probably paid a little over the odds.

Stamp duty
Registry fee.
Solictors fees.
Survey fee.
Estate agent commision which will be around 1.5%
Soliciotrs fees to sell the house.
The cost of renting while I find another place.

I'd say around 10k before I pay rent again. I'm considering advertising it for sale and seeing what offers come in over the next few weeks and making a decision based on the offers (if any). The problem with this is it wont help with settling in if I have it for sale and dont sell it!

If you are moving back to Dublin have you looked at the rents, they are now something shocking.

The house I bought is in Dublin and I will be renting in Dublin if I sell.

Back