driving on an expired drivers licence

terrysgirl33

I was trying to find out if you can drive on an expired drivers licence (one month out of date). The insurance still covers this driver, but he has been out of the country so hasn't gotten around to renewing his licence yet. I couldn't find the info on citizens information.ie

Last edited:
The insurance cannot cover this driver as the minimum requirement is a current valid licence or learner's permit. It is a motoring offence to drive without a current licence and a driver is meant to carry a licence at all times while driving.

BTW he cannot supervise a learner's permit holder for the same reason.

The insurance cannot cover this driver as the minimum requirement is a current valid licence or learner's permit. It is a motoring offence to drive without a current licence and a driver is meant to carry a licence at all times while driving.

BTW he cannot supervise a learner's permit holder for the same reason.

Motor insurance can cover a driver without a valid licence (can does not mean will: it is a point to check with the insurer).

Yes, it is an offence to drive without a current licence. There is a greater chance of lenient treatment if it is a matter of the licence being expired than if the driver never had one.

I speak from experience: it happened me, the insurance was valid; the guard (who seemed grumpy) prosecuted, and I paid a £1.00 fine.

Thanks, he has checked with the insurance company already, but will have to wait for the motor tax office on Monday.

Most insurance companies will cover you once your not disqualified, and have had a license at some stage.

Arrgghhh. Turns out you have to renew it in the same area it was originally issued in, I assume the same local authority area? Anyway, if you got your licence in Dublin, you cannot renew it in Kilarney...

Arrgghhh. Turns out you have to renew it in the same area it was originally issued in, I assume the same local authority area? Anyway, if you got your licence in Dublin, you cannot renew it in Kilarney...

Ridiculous ..... what a country we live in!

I renewed a license, issued in Waterford, in cork without an issue.

Back