Returning to work after a long break?

terrysgirl33

Hi all, looking for advice and recommendations.

I have a friend of a friend who has been looking for work for a while. He took redundancy from his job years ago and ended up looking after his three boys for a few years. He is ready to go back to work now, and the kids are all in school (primary and secondary so young enough yet) but he's been looking for seven years now and nothing is coming up. He has got a few interviews, but only with agencies and nothing else.

Would it be worth his while talking to someone about his career prospects and CV etc. etc.? Can anyone recommend someone? Any idea where to start?

It depends on the sector really but having up to date IT skills is always a help. Also volunteer work, even in unrelated field can show that someone is workplace ready, particularly after a long gap it shows that people can actually work a full working day.

I don't know his sector at all, and I haven't looked for work myself in 18 years (steady employment is good) do you know anyone who can guide him.

OK, he's in the middle of a seperation from his wife. It looks like he will have a few thousand € after the seperation, but it's not legal yet and he is entitled to nothing until then as she has a good job and they have savings.

Lots of community and voluntary groups need graphic design services - maybe some voluntary work would be a good interim step?

If it is graphic design he needs to make sure his skills are bang up to date, technology moves fast in that field. I know a few freelance GD people and they're always busy.

Back