Senator Windows -Service Charge

Mojos

Senator Windows fitted a number of windows and doors in our house approximately 4 years ago. In the intervening period we have no problem with any of the installed fittings. Recently the locking mechanism on one of the doors became faulty.

I contacted Senator Windows regarding getting it repaired, aware that all their products had a 10 year guarantee. I was informed that this guarantee did not include their standard service charge of €85.00. I had little choice but to get the door repaired. The serviceman took less than 5 minutes to repair the locking mechanism. I have now duly received a bill for €85.00.

I am hoping that some of the Askaboutmoney members could advice me if this charge is excessive and if so, what action I should take. Thanks in advance for any replies.

The detail is:

"standard service charge of €85.00"

To me it sounds reasonable.

You can't expect time, service, travel costs to and from your premises to be borne by Senator.

Action to take - pay it.

It's a bit sneaky though...one would think that a full guarantee meant that everything was covered. So, yes, I would have expected that time, service, travel costs would have been borne by Senator. Maybe the question is: what's the definition of a guarantee?..

But he was informed prior to the call out.
Agreed. But when he bought the windows he was told that they were guaranteed for 10 years. The little detail of a service charge was never mentioned as far as I know, or "in the small print". I'm in a similar situation.....I'm buying windows from them at the moment and there was absolutely zero mention of a service charge but a lot of talk about the guarantee.

Best check the fine print then Squonk before you sign on the dotted line.

I take it that you shopped around?

A 10 year guarantee is a 10 year guarantee. If it does not mention a Service Charge, then there should be no charge.

The right time to disupter this though, was before they did the work. I would still argue it now, however.

...I'm buying windows from them at the moment and there was absolutely zero mention of a service charge but a lot of talk about the guarantee.
I'd ask the question "What is covered by the 10-year guarantee? Is it parts & labour or parts, labour & stealth charges?" I'd then ask for a detailed guarantee document.

I had senator install windows and doors in my house a few yrs ago (approx 6) and before last christmas one of the hindges on the front door broke and senator charged me e100
I had no problem paying this charge as the part is senator specific and I was told this by senator when I rang them

For a company like Senator who charge quite a high premium for their products compared to other companies that I know of that produce a good product as well and giving very good back up service I find it a bit rich of them to be laying such great emphasis on their 10 year guarantee and playing the game of charging a service charge. There are not that many things that can go wrong with windows and doors. If the guarantee is really worth anything it should have covered all the items complained of in the time frame mentioned.
I know two very good companies who are in business for over 30 years and Senator windows would probably not even be asked to quote in their area.
I would say that there is a good chance they are in breach of Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act
They items complained of would appear to me as not being up to the standard that a reasonable person might expect

The link to the terms and conditions of Senator's 10 year guarantee is broken on their site, but you can see it
It's clear that after year 1, the customer is expected to pay for 'travelling time and the cost of labour'. It's interesting also to note the guarantee only relates to the frames.

The link to the terms and conditions of Senator's 10 year guarantee is broken on their site, but you can see it ..
Leo, following your link give a "404" error.

Accessing the the guarantee link on website directly gives:

"Website Upgrade
We have just upgraded our website, the page you are looking for no longer exisits.

Please us e the navigation above to use the new site

Regards

Senator Windows
"

4 years is not very long before a fault occurs, does that mean the new part will only last 4 years?

Leo, following your link give a "404" error.

Sorry, fixed now.

Is the advertising misleading then.

Or do they say "10 year guarantee - terms and conditions apply" ?

It's certainly not clear anyway. On the windows overview page, they list the features, including a reference to the 10 year guarantee. The word 'guarantee' is a link, but this link brings you to the list of certifications (Q Mark, NSAI / ISO9001, etc.), and not the guarantee. You have to hunt for a link to the guarantee, and then find the link is broken (extra '_' character after the file name)

Even then having found the guarantee, they could do a much better job of detailing what is and is not covered. They should for example, specify what their call-out, travelling and labour charges are.

Back