Agri Grants

Are you talking about the Single Farm Payment paid to farmers in respect of their farming trade?

If so then the single farm payment forms part of the income of the farm for the year and is subject to Income tax, PRSI and USC and part of your Case I profit from farming.

Ok thank you so when tax returns were been completed this should have been disclosed.

Should this happen also if a person is a paye worker?

Don't really understand the question are you a PAYE of the farming company?

Or do you own some land that has SPF and you are not trading as a farmer?

I just wanted to clarify they should have been disclosing the fact they were in receipt of these agri grants and an owner of land.

No sorry. An individual who owns land and is in receipt of single payment. For some years they were self employed not just in a farming capacity and completed tax returns for that business without declaring the land or agri payments. They were also a paye worker and did not complete tax returns for the farm.

I just wanted to clarify they should have been disclosing the fact they were in receipt of these agri grants and an owner of land.

The answer is yes, of course it should've been disclosed, it's income! Were you farming the land, or letting it, or what?

Basically if they are not due to be audited it is unlikely this will be revealed?

Have I got news for you ?? The Revenue will find it -- that's for certain. The new computer systems at the Revenue link between all the Government Departments where all payments can be and are tracked. The longer this remains outstanding as unpaid, the more Interest and surcharges will increase.

If you want to be a good relative, tell those concerned before it's all too late.

Mercman is bang on the money there - Revenue have the details of all recipients of those sorts of payment - it is literally a matter of time before this person gets a letter. It'll be much easier and less costly to deal with if they go to an advisor and get them to make a disclosure.

Thanks for the replies. The relative withheld the fact they owned the land and entitlements. I think they are slightly delusional about the tax issue.. It's going on for 20 years plus would hate to think of what is owed

Thanks for the replies. The relative withheld the fact they owned the land and entitlements. I think they are slightly delusional about the tax issue.. It's going on for 20 years plus would hate to think of what is owed

Well they won't be deluded for much longer. If they don't get a letter from Revenue within the next couple of years I'd be amazed.

And even if somehow they don't get a letter during their lifetime, when they die and their estate is being distributed, Revenue will want their money at that point.

Coupled with God knows what else is going on with their asset base that is not disclosed to the Revenue ??

And in case they think this might be a load of boloney, I personally have had a number of Audits and they are not very nice at all. My best decrypt of an Audit is for somebody to climb up inside you and continue to prod around until they get the piece they're looking for. It really isn't very nice but there might be those who enjoy that kind of thing. And when they are completed as in the case of your relative, they charge a mad amount of money for the pleasure of it.

Back