American going to France

kguan4815

Hello, I am in need of some advice if anyone has any prior experiences. I am an American citizen transferring to a school in France and I have received a long-stay student visa, so I will be renting an apartment (permanent residence). I am looking for a bank account to open, preferably one that has low international money transfers and is easily accessible for my everyday convenience. I am very limited in speaking French (as of right now ^^) but my boyfriend and his family can help me set up an account if the bank branch does not have english-speaking officers (they live in France). I am also unsure if being a student makes me even more limited than any other international individual trying to open an account in France, but I certainly cannot be the only one. So far I have looked at HSBC but they have ridiculous expectations and foreign fees, as well as very limited branches. I was starting to look at UK branches in France however, I do not know if an American citizen would be eligible. Unfortunately I do not have a permanent residence in France (as of yet) which makes it difficult to contact any of the banks due to emails being closed to anyone outside of the EU. Any advice is welcomed. I am sorry if I do not know much about the banking systems but it seems rather difficult to open an account for an American citizen. Thank you for your time!

This website is extremely useful for many of my questions, thank you @PMU :)
Unfortunately though, the website does not go into detail of certain banks, the website deals in strictly procedures, (paperwork, protocols, etc..) does anyone have any bank suggestions that they have dealt with personally?

Have you tried an American bank in France, that should be your first port of call. Try the American embassy in Paris for advice. Find a French expat website for Americans. I know French banks that cater for Europeans, but about Americans on student visas I've no idea.

What is it you need this account for? Where are you based right now?

I would have thought a British bank was your worst option, you'd then likely be having trouble in 3 currencies. So a US or Euro dealing bank might be best.

Check out in the thread on . There are links to a few France-based ex-pat websites that could be useful to you.

The websites supplied are very useful :) particularly 'Paris.Anglo.Info' because it gives the names of actual banks with english speaking officers as well as more detailed lay-outs of procedures. A big thank you to everyone that replied :)

In addition, now I am looking for loans that me or a co-signer are eligible for. These can be overseas loans or known loans in the US.

Honestly, Home Equity Line of Credit Loan I don't know much about this. It was recommended as a way of a loan for college tuition and expenses.

Financial aid and private student loans that go through financial aid school department list is not an option either.

Home Equity Line of Credit seems to be the only solution for funds while I am in school. Unless other personal loans that are similar?
I understand that some, you can pay interest only on what money you draw, for up to 10 years and then pay back according to the deadline with interest.

What are the negatives? Is your credit-score effected?

I obviously cannot take out this loan, however, the individual who was going to be my co-signer for student loans is eligible. Just trying to find the best solution where co-signer will not have to pay a lot while I am in school, therefore, giving me time so then I take over full payments when I get out of school. Other personal loans I have looked at have high interest to pay per month with only a 3 year deadline, which would be my schooling so that does not work.

Any advice is welcomed, personal experience through similar situation, maybe someone that used this option is appreciated as well.

@Kimmagegirl I am aware, however, I have been given well advice on this website before, so it does not hurt to ask. In addition, I am not just speaking in terms of the US but overseas as well, and by chance if someone had travelled to France to study or work, that is an advantage for me.

Back