Medical card withdrawn but not for the wife ?

battyee

An elderly relative who is in his mid 70's has had his medical card medical card withdrawn recently because he was deemed to be just over the new income limit. His wife in her 80's has retained hers even though their income is jointly accessed by revenue. Their G.P. & pharmacist don't understand how this can happen but suggest that they do not pursue the issue with HSE as she may loose her card too if they find that they have made an administrative error. Can anyone explain or maybe they should just contact HSE office despite the advice they have been given ?

Has the lady ever worked in the UK or other EU country which she may be in receipt of a pension from there. This could give her an entitlement to a medical card under EU regulations.

It would NOT include her husband

That is interesting because she has & so has he worked in UK for several years. Still hard to understand why it should only apply to her & not the other half.

The provisions do not apply if you have ever paid 1 weeks PRSI in Ireland.

Is it the case that she has never paid PRSI here? I suspect the husband has at some stage.

I think that she will have paid some PRSI if that existed as she was employed in this country for a few years pre 1960. Husband has definitely paid PRSI here.

It is about her current situation not her past.

I suspect the situation is as follows:- She has an EU pension (or part thereof) and no Irish pension. Therefore she has no income that is subject to PRSI in Ireland and on that basis is entitled to a medical card under EU regulations.

Her husband perhaps he also has UK pension but in addition he has pension from Ireland which is subject to Irish PRSI and is therefore excluded from the EU medical card. It appears his income is also above the limit for an Irish medical card.

If the above is the situation she will keep her medical card

Thank you, Black Sheep. I think that your premise is probably right on all counts. Will speak to the couple. I still find it surprising that they are jointly assessed by revenue & thus fall about 5% over the limit for over 70's who get the Med. Cards. Anyway the news will be more positive than expected if the wife can keep her card unless there are further cut backs in next years budget. Will pass on the info. & thank you for it.

She will keep the card as it issued under EU rules. The government can't do anything about that.

Back