Paint marble

Delta

Does anyone know if it is possible to paint marble. Trying to update an oldfashioned fireplace. Cant afford to buy a new one.

a quick google brings up lots of solutions:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4451154_paint-over-marble.html

Is the fireplace really that bad? Could you make it into a feature of the room?

We built our own house and incorporated lots of old fashioned ideas (picture rail, wainscot, antique & vintage furniture etc) and I love the look. Sometimes the contrast between brand new and old can look really good.

best of luck whatever you decide.:)

I painted a marble fireplace last year and I was quite pleased with the results.

I used International Self Priming tile paint and gave it two coats, I cleaned the marble with white spirit, I then brushed on the paint (small’ish areas at a time) and then rolled it very lightly with a mini gloss roller to get rid of the brush strokes, be careful when choosing a roller, don’t get a cheap foam one that feels rough as it will cause bubbles in the paint, get one that feels a bit oily/waxy.

Thanks for that info. Will start checking it out. Fireplace not an antique, 1980 ish and boring. So glad for that info.

I know it's an old thread, but just wondering how things went Delta.
I have an old ugly grayish marble fireplace. I put a stove into it.
Stupidly, I should have ripped it out before the stove.... so, now I am looking to update it as the stove is sealed and attached to a stainless steel chimney lining. Don't want to go to the bother of ripping the whole lot out...

any tips??

There's an undercoat called BIN made by Zeissler. It's shellac and will stick to anything. It can be overpainted with any kind of paint, so it's not necessary to use tile paint and you can have the colour you want. Two coats of the BIN are usually necessary to obliterate marble or tile patterns but it dries in an hour. Brushes need to be cleaned in Methylated spirit but instead I usually store the wet brush overnight in a ziplock bag or suchlike, then throw it away when job is finished.

Back