New York - Woodbury Common and Jersey Village

Thanks John Rambo but it will be very difficult then to know the real thing in these outlets.

What's BT's by the way - boutiques ?

Sorry, BT's is Brown Thomas. As for the outlets the stuff is all 'real' in my experience, it's just certain things like plain Ralph Lauren shirts, branded socks, branded boxer shorts, those kind of things which are being manufactured for the outlets (it's not excess stock or last years stuff). We tend to go to Macy's, Saks, Bloomingdales and the stores on 5th Avenue (Abercrombie, Gucci, etc) for current stuff and then hit Woodbury Common for good value. To give you just one example, a plain Hugo Boss polo sells for €85 in Dublin. They're $60 in Woodbury Common...that's €40. A Gucci handbag might be €1000 here. On 5th Avenue it'll be $1000 (€666). I've quite big feet so can only wear certain types of shoe purely down to availability...in the US there's no such issue with sizes at all. Clothing's the same. One further example...I buy a particular type of Timberland shoe regularly in Dublin for €135. In Woodbury Common I got them for $50 (€33).

On our May trip, Macys was as busy if not busier than Century 21, as to quality in Century21, seems fine to me, and I’m not a BT shopper at home!. Also a few mins from there is a huge electrical shop covers a whole block of shops, think it is JRelectronics or similar( kinda a PCWorld with Powercity, Gamesworld and HMV rolled in to one.)

Woodbury is a fair bit longer out than 1 hour form Manhattan. We did the bus when we where last there, it was Feb and freezing! It has to be a daylong experience, get 2 lockers and wear comfy shoes!

Aside, the Kildare Outlet must have been built off the same plans as Woodbury was eerie it was so similar.

Oddly enough I was looking recently for SD memory cards on the JR Electronics website and they seemed no cheaper than at home - certainly not when/if VAT is added. I thought from reading AAM they were the best value for electronics in NY?

On our May trip, Macys was as busy if not busier than Century 21, as to quality in Century21, seems fine to me, and I’m not a BT shopper at home!. Also a few mins from there is a huge electrical shop covers a whole block of shops, think it is JRelectronics or similar( kinda a PCWorld with Powercity, Gamesworld and HMV rolled in to one.)

Woodbury is a fair bit longer out than 1 hour form Manhattan. We did the bus when we where last there, it was Feb and freezing! It has to be a daylong experience, get 2 lockers and wear comfy shoes!

Aside, the Kildare Outlet must have been built off the same plans as Woodbury was eerie it was so similar.

They're owned by the same company...Chelsea Outlets. It was an hour by car to WC, I've never got the bus.

It's rather sad that parents are caving into their children's demands for so-called designer label clothes. To quote Oscar Wilde out of context - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Oddly enough I was looking recently for SD memory cards on the JR Electronics website and they seemed no cheaper than at home - certainly not when/if VAT is added. I thought from reading AAM they were the best value for electronics in NY?

I find that there's never much difference with electronic goods if you adjust for exchange rate, VAT, and import duty (if applicable).

Was in jersey gardens on Monday
10 dollars return from Manhattan- 30 mins each way

Didn't think much of it, comparing to outlets in Orlando

Very limited range of kids stock
Got same spectacles for cheaper on 5th avenue

One positive is that you can be out and back to Manhattan without wasting a day

B & h Photo imho is a goof value electricals shop and their online store ships to ireland as well.

My american relatives told me that Best Buy is the best value for electronics, there's one on 5th avenue with another electrical store beside it, both of them are pretty good (could be circuit world or something).
Re Woodbury Commons, I didn't enjoy the experience, but there is undoubtedly value there, virtually nothing in the way of electronics though (there was an overpriced Sony store). It will take the guts of a day doing the WC thing though, I'd suggest a car if you have one, the bus is fine, but a car makes it more pleasant.

I find that there's never much difference with electronic goods if you adjust for exchange rate, VAT, and import duty (if applicable).
i found the dollar number to generally equate with the euro number, thus a significant saving before import duties.

I've heard that Jersey Gardens is only a short shuttle-bus trip from Newark Airport. Is it worth going there for an hour or two say if you're flying from Newark later in the evening?

Is TJ Maxx the same as TK Maxx here, or better?

Thanks.

Depending on the airline, you can even check your bags and go to Jersey gardens and back before your flight.

You can practically see Jersey Gardens from Newark Airport. There are Airport shuttle buses to Jersey Gardens from Newark Airport and they take only about 10 minutes. They operate from Jersey gardens to Airtrain Station P4.

TKMaxx and TJMaxx are very similar layout (in that you have to search through rails to looks for clothes). I think the selection is better in the USA.

Summer time is tough for finding clothes for Irish people when all the stores stock are shorts, Tshirts, flipflops etc. The best time for shopping is after Christmas when all the winter stock is on sale and marked down to nothing - jeans, boots etc.

Was just in Jersey gardens last week. In the Tommy H shop there was nothing but Irish people in it.
Tracy

I am sorry, but I just don't get this shopping frenzy thing at all!
And I was there, yes, reluctantly.... in some place around Southampton on Long Island can't remember the name now, only went because I was a guest at a wedding there and it was arranged for us!
I was just so bored.......
Anyway, if I want designer gear (which I don't) I'd buy in Dublin etc. Factor in the flights and the accomodation and the social spending on a trip to NY and you've lost all benefit from the prices IMO.
But good luck to you if that's what floats your boat.
I am putting on the tin hat and the armour now for the fallout!!

Totally agree with 4th estate.I was in New York in Dec 06.Admittedly there are bargains and you dont have to go to the outlets to get them.I did get a couple of things for the kids.Converse runners 40 dollars ( then about 20 odd euros) in a shop in Times Square compared to in ireland 60 euros.
But the main reason for me going to New York was the sight seeing and walking those streets and over the Brooklyn Bridge at night to see Manhattan lit up.Brilliant!

Back