skoda octavia 1.4 or focus 1.4?

inspector

luckily in the market for a new car- have cash but cant decide between either
any advice to make this decision
focus is good but skoda seems such a good car?

Gabriel said:
Focus. Hands down.

They'll both be dog slow. If you can afford it go for 1.6.

The new Octavia has many plus points, not least better reliabilty.
You really need a 1.6 for these cars.

Check out the JD Power surveys-->> "Skoda drivers are the most satisfied mainstream brand owners in the UK, according to the 2005 J D Power Survey of Customer Satisfaction. Ranked second overall for the second consecutive year, Skoda was beaten to the top spot by only one luxury brand - and by only one point. With a CSI score of 847, Skoda’s rating improved by four points over 2003, compared to an industry average decline of two points. This year marks the 10th year in succession that Skoda has remained in the Top 5 of all manufacturers."

"
JD Power Survey 2005 - Family cars

2005/04/14

In most classes, a non-Japanese winner might raise a few eyebrows, but not here. The Skoda Octavia has dominated this class for the past three years and it does so again.

That it achieves this in the face of continuing opposition from excellent Japanese cars three are breathing right down its neck is merely further evidence of its blend of reliability, practicality, low running costs and fine dealer service.

Further down the table, there's evidence that the French manufacturers are raising their game. The Renault Laguna and Citroën C5 were in the bottom two positions a year ago, but now they are fourth and fifth from bottom respectively. Yes, it's a small step, but it's progress nevertheless.

Skoda Octavia CLASS WINNER"

Skoda comes in 2!!! whilst Ford comes in 17th

N Solo

No doubt Skoda's are good cars. Buying one you can't really go wrong. I doubt you'd regret it...but the Focus has much better driving characteristics. It's a drivers car.

Drove one there about a month ago...decent test drive. Loved it.

thanks for the info
if i decide to go for 1.6
which of these 2 cars would have the best re-sale value?:confused:

Talk to Taxi Drivers. Many are trading in their Fords (albeit Mondeos) for Skoda Octavias. They know their cars ! 1.4 too small though. Go for 1.6 or 1.9TDi.

It seems strange to me that a few people now have said a 1.4 would be too slow without even asking what kind of driving will be done. I've driven a 1.4 Nissan Sunny for the last few years (alas no more as it was stolen last week) and always found it more than fast enough for my needs. I usually only drive around Dublin and as the speed limits are usually 50 or 60 kph there's not a huge amount of fast driving to be done. The only slow part about that car was getting up to speed on a motorway but it was well up to speed by the time it came off the long entrance to the motorway (when not stuck behind one of those people who insist on 50kph until they're already on the motorway!) - the only occassional exception was the entrance to the M50 at Dundrum where it's also a hill, it was difficult always to gain speed there I found. Anyway, just interested why people think a 1.4 wouldn't be fast enough.

I'm thinking of going for a 1.4 litre diesel car for greater economy, possibly for a Skoda Fabia. Any comments?

Cars have gotten much heavier in recent years. Safety factors mainly.

A Sunny weighs about the same as a hankerchief, so a 1.4 Sunny would be relatively sprightly by comparison to modern 1.4 petrol cars.

you know buying a car would just do your head in-- thought it would be easy, good wad of cash( bargaining power) all i had to do was decide what car?
so i started to look at value for money, good future trade in value, i want to spend as little as possible but get the best car with as many extras as i can get but with a good trade in value for the future,
now i've gone full circle-
looked at spending about 24k
looked at BMW's 01 and 02 nice extras, great cars, but a lot of them were imported from england,( could i be sure of thier mileage?) my cash did not have much bargaining power here, dealers only willing to drop a grand,but they were nice cars, leather seats, m.f.s.w. parking sensors,(always a good idea cause i'm crap at reversing)
then i thought 24k would get me a nice NEW car, (skoda octavia/focus)dealers would reduce price for cash by about 1.5grand, plenty of warrenty,NEW MATS, full tank,mmmmmm?
then i thought about a hyundi santa fe- would prob get an 03 for my money, they look good but there seems to be lots of them around wich makes me worry if i decide to trade in, in about 3 years?

whats value for money????
i keep thinking about the BMW's and the comfort, but find it hard to justify that sort of money for an 01/02 car? --is it?

do i buy now?
do i wait till Jan?
i'm so confused i need a lie down
HELP ME!!!!!!
To hell with all this- maby i'll spend my money on a holiday instead!!!

Hi ,
In the same boat myself and also looking at the santa fe 03 2.0ltdi.
I have had overnight each of the following so far in my quest:
All diesels with at least a 2.0lt tdi.
1) H Santa fe 05 former self drive- lovely but I wont pay that much.
2) 04 primera - nice extras , very light, couldn't graw to it.
3) aventis 04- steady drive good seat adjustment, herself loved it , i just didn't fall in love with it.
4) mazda premisi 03 - terriable, gave back in 10 min.
5) mazda 6 former self drive 9k on clock- lovely drive, lovely car, very good pickup. bucket seats are the problem, i just couldnt get comfortable.
6) land rover freelander03- didn't like, horse of a machine, smaller inside than santa fe.

Tomorrow night I am to get a 03 santafe for test, give back on friday,
on friday night to get ford mondeo 05 until sat.

i will post on how i get on with these later.

you dont need to buy a car at all- just keep doing what your doing-

I might try that too,
did you ever try a BMW318?
good luck with the santa fe, keep us all posted

i'm still confused and dont know what to buy!

inspector said:
you know buying a car would just do your head in-- thought it would be easy, good wad of cash( bargaining power) all i had to do was decide what car?
so i started to look at value for money, good future trade in value, i want to spend as little as possible but get the best car with as many extras as i can get but with a good trade in value for the future,
now i've gone full circle-
looked at spending about 24k
looked at BMW's 01 and 02 nice extras, great cars, but a lot of them were imported from england,( could i be sure of thier mileage?) my cash did not have much bargaining power here, dealers only willing to drop a grand,but they were nice cars, leather seats, m.f.s.w. parking sensors,(always a good idea cause i'm crap at reversing)
then i thought 24k would get me a nice NEW car, (skoda octavia/focus)dealers would reduce price for cash by about 1.5grand, plenty of warrenty,NEW MATS, full tank,mmmmmm?
then i thought about a hyundi santa fe- would prob get an 03 for my money, they look good but there seems to be lots of them around wich makes me worry if i decide to trade in, in about 3 years?

whats value for money????
i keep thinking about the BMW's and the comfort, but find it hard to justify that sort of money for an 01/02 car? --is it?

do i buy now?
do i wait till Jan?
i'm so confused i need a lie down
HELP ME!!!!!!
To hell with all this- maby i'll spend my money on a holiday instead!!!

There's no real value for money in cars, due to punitive taxes.

Enjoy the holiday.

RS2K said:
A Sunny weighs about the same as a hankerchief,

This is probably true. I miss my car, knew it so well and it was great really. Stupid robbers!

At least I'll be severely constrained by budget so won't be able to tie myself up in knots about choice when I'm trying to replace it. Would prefer to not have to go down the Micra route which friends keep mentioning - quite apart from power and speed I'm not really what you might call a small girl so will have to get something I can fit comfortably into.

Buy a Holiday, Buy a 6-7 year old 1.4 or 1.6 VW Golf and you'll still have cash left over for the house, or another holiday, or investment. I have a 1995 Golf, so it's going on 11yrs. It's Rock Solid and Very Practical.

I will sell you a mazda 626 1999, 78000miles on clock, 2.0tdi, air con, sun roof, lovely motor. totally genuine car.
give me a shout if u want.

Back