clocking cars

unclebuck

Looking for some advice if possible. I am currently working for a relatively big motor dealer, who imports a lot of UK imports. I have noticed the vehicles are being clocked once they arrive by an outsider (very quick and very easy process from what I can see). From what I gather anywhere between 50-100,000 miles is being taken off said vehicles, prepared for sale and then advertised at market value. A lot of ex taxi's, fleet vehicles etc are being clocked and sold to customers that are completely unaware. The usual tell tale signs like wear and tear are being dealt with by replacing said parts with parts that have a lot less wear. To make matters worse I KNOW for a FACT that the history check reports are also being tampered with !!!, obviously these vehicles coming from the UK have no form of history, incorrect mileage readings are being put onto these reports by the owner and given to customers. If this is going on in this garage, how many others are at it ?? People paying for this rubbish with hard earned money and they haven't a clue whats going on. I feel terrible knowing this and really do not know what to do.

How do I report it, to who? and with regards to collecting evidence, these vehicles are kept out of sight until ready for sale so very hard to actually prove it.

The National Consumer Agency would be a good first port of call - but ultimately, the Gardai. The NCA have brought prosecutions against second hand car dealers in the past for behaviour along the lines of what you are reporting.

I think, open to correction if wrong, that it is not an offence to clock a car, it is an offence to mislead a buyer.

Garda will not be interested, no crime is committed, as far as I know clocking is not against the law, somebody would have to purchase the car and then follow up for the Garda to be interested.

Is this an SIMI garage, if so report it to the SIMI, I am not saying much will happen, you are in a tough place on this one, look for another job, these are not good people, clocking is a common practice, may of the main dealers have guys coming in at night to alter the odometer via laptop when the garage is quiet, at your place they don't bother trying to conceal it, there have been high profile convictions in the past.

That's news to me that it's not an offence to clock a car.
What's the point of having a milometer on a car then?

Tough call for you Op. You'll probably lose your job if you rock the boat but maybe it would be worth it.

Actually, my earlier post was incorrect. Since April 2014, the act of clocking a vehicle is illegal, under section 14 of the Road Traffic Act, 2014: "Interference with odometer of mechanically propelled vehicle." Punishable by up to 3 months imprisonment or a Class C fine.
(source Cartell)

Now that is good news, about time it was an offence, no idea how it can be proven but only a matter of time before we all see a prosecution.

This is why I'm kind of reluctant to and hesitant to go any further with this issue. Not where I want to be working really but not a lot of choice out there atm. So the crime of clocking cars really goes unnoticed ? not much of an incentive to proceed with it in fairness.

Do you know a Garda personally? If so a chat with him / her in confidence might be a starting point and then you both could determine a course of action.

This needs to be exposed. It is difficult to be a whistleblower but people need to be protected, I'm sure you agree.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0207/312023-nct/

sasha garage in galway.....I change my car every year, I do every check possible but clocking is rampant in the uk import market...I once viewed a car just in and was allowed to view as chap knew I a genuine buyer....I immed went off car as gearstick silver bit all worn...however my husband wanted a look so he was so shocked when I said youv changed the gearstick..salesman nearly died, worst he made out I was mistaken instead of saying yes...low milage on car!!

Does'nt surprise me in the least that the majority of imports are clocked. Easy to do now , all u need is the software, which most dealers have anyway. Clocking can add 1000's to the value. Very difficult to prove as well.

The jap imports were all clocked as well.

This kind of thing has being happening all over the country for years by both dealers and private sellers, they buy cars from uk and buy a service history book online and stamp it to whatever mileage they want,
Damaged cars can also be imported and sold as unrecorded clean cars.
A lot of con men out there just be sure to bring a mechanic with u to view cars if you don't know what to look for.

Back