Should we keep overpaying mortage or increase our savings..

emeralds

We have a mortgage of €295,000 on a second home which we use a lot. We are lucky to have a tracker of ECB + .9%. We have substantial savings (in excess of €120,000) and no other debt. Our repayments should be €1520 per calander month but for the past 2 years we have been paying half the monthly amount every 14 days plus an overpayment of €250 each time - so essentially an overpayment of approx €7500 per annum. This is working for us but I guess my question is should we be doing this? I know the arguments for putting the money in a higher interest rate account but by the time DIRT is taken into account the benefit of that is negligible...We have a teenager and a pre-teen child so college fees etc.. will be very much on our minds in 3 or 4 years time...I should add that because the mortgage is not for a principal residence we do not qualify for Mortgage Interest Tax Relief (or so I have been told by Revenue).

Overpayments are a good thing, particularly if one is in negative equity. As you will need money for college, you should try and keep your savings for this, plus a rainy day fund that will carry both the holiday home and the main residence in the event of unemployment.

It is correct that you do not receive TRS on the holiday home. Do you ever let it?

Back