FAS Courses/JobSeekers Benefit

mcb

Hi
I am currently working in an office in the construction industry. Due to the down turn in business I have been reduced from five days work to three days work and I am claiming job seekers benefit for the days I am not working.
Tomorrow, I will find out if I am being made redundant or not. Just considering my options. I will take redundancy if offered but I would like to update my computer skills/payroll etc and I have been looking into FAS courses for this. If i was to take on a FAS course do I still get paid my Jobseekers benefit or do I loose that if I am doing a FAS course, or do I get paid from FAS whilst I am doing one of their courses.
Any information greatly appreciated.

You get the same amount (think it has a different name, though). You will also get rent/childcare allowance (if applicable) and nominal expenses for travelling.

Staples
Have been trying to ring head office and local branches for a few days and cant get through. Will keep trying

mcb, If you decide to go on a full time FAS course you get a payment which will be the same or more than your unemployment payment. The reason I say more is because if for any reason you are presently ( whilst unemployed ) being means tested, where you are on a reduced unemployment payment, you get the full weekly amount plus travel if over a certain distance. You do not get both unemployment benefit and the FAS payment.

Staples
Have been trying to ring head office and local branches for a few days and cant get through. Will keep trying

MCB

You could also ask the Department of Social Welfare (or wherever you sign on). It's really their call, after all.

Back