Current Salary - Right to Ask

kmelvin

Hi,
I'm leaving my job soon and want to use this opportunity to increase my salary.

I'm a software developer and underpaid by todays market.

A lot of the jobs I'm considering are looking for my current salary.
I'm afraid if I tell them my current salary, they will not meet the salary I'm requesting.

Firstly, do they have the right to ask me my current salary and would it look bad if I refuse to answer the question?

I'd rather not lie to any future employer (especially considering they will see my P45 and exact wage).

Thanks for the help

K

You can get your previous salary details removed from your P45 if you like. However it may be that the new employer could infer certain details when processing payroll (unless you went on emergency tax or something perhaps?). Why not just tell them what your ideal salary/benefits package would be and then negotiate on that?

Most reasonable employers will not offer you a salary that is signifigantly out of line with their existing employees. They know it's just storing up discontent.

On the other hand if you want to talk about your salary in a slightly inflated but not strictly dishonest way, you can talk about your existing package being worth so much. The package then would be salary, expected bonuses, possible income from share schemes, free parking, company provided home broadband, free cups of coffee, free use of a chair, whatever you want really.

With interviews the greater dishonesty is often on the interviewing side. We're expanding - great atmosphere - great opportunities for training - no problems with traffic (because you won't be leaving until 8pm) etc..

Every agent and employer I've applied to have specifically asked for my current salary.

Ultimately, I think I'll just have to be honest with my salary - and ask for what I want (and argue my case if necessary).

Thanks

K

Could iit be that this is a new phenomenon in that employers are now testing the water about expected salary levels with the economic downturn?

They do not need to see your P45 details by the way,
Hi,
I'm leaving my job soon and want to use this opportunity to increase my salary.

I'm a software developer and underpaid by todays market.

A lot of the jobs I'm considering are looking for my current salary.
I'm afraid if I tell them my current salary, they will not meet the salary I'm requesting.

Firstly, do they have the right to ask me my current salary and would it look bad if I refuse to answer the question?

I'd rather not lie to any future employer (especially considering they will see my P45 and exact wage).

Thanks for the help

K

Could iit be that this is a new phenomenon in that employers are now testing the water about expected salary levels with the economic downturn?

I work as a software developer and I have always been asked this question (working 11 years)

ETA: You could respond with , ' My expected salary is in the x,000+ range' with that you expect as a salary in a new job. It's not lieing, it's just avoiding the question.

Back