Should I look in unoccupied house prior to completion?

Simon Saiz

I have sale agreed on the purchase of a house which is unoccupied.

The property is obviously unoccupied due to the condition of the front garden, and the surveyor discovered that it has had a break-in at some point due to damage found to the external door.

As the whole process has dragged on longer that I would have hoped, my survey was conducted about 2 months ago. Also, the last time I was in the property was before this.

It is near time to exchange contracts. I am wondering would it be reasonable/sensible for me to ask the agent if I could have a quick look in the property just prior to exchange, as there is always the possibility that someone could have got in since the survey and trashed the place.

Thank you!

Most definitely! Particularly given the conditions in your case. It is an entirely reasonable request.

Every house I've ever bought I've always insisted on a final examination just prior to exchange. The vendors tend to have a habit of forgetting to remove all their belongings. Oddly enough it is never the plasma TV's, mahogany tables or tiffany lamps that they forget to bring with them... it tends to be old mattresses, cardboard boxes and paint cans!

So when there have been a few paint cans lying around what have you done?

"old mattresses, cardboard boxes and paint cans"

Refuse to complete until they are removed.

If it was just a few paint cans, a purchaser would probably not be too concerned.

mf

Every house I've ever bought I've always insisted on a final examination just prior to exchange.

Prior to exchange of contract or completion? Signing contracts which is what the OP asked here.

OP definitely prior to completion as Gianni said to make sure they took their junk. Prior to signing your contracts, It is no harm asking the estate agent can you see it again but

And if they don't take those paint cans, etc., walk away or insist on a lower price.
There are plenty of other properties out there.

Back