Personal shopper service for men

WN4

Is there such a service for men?

If so, can anyone recommend one where they're not necessarily going to be recommended the most expensive brands when there are cheaper substitutes?

There's a style centre in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre now that offer a personal shopper service but also workshops and I noticed one for men on their notice board tonight. Might be worth a look

Has anyone got experience of this? I see the internet is full of various people with their small business but it's impossible to know who would really be a true value add.

The context of my consideration is changing employment and needing more executive/sharp attire, and wanting to get things that are actually a good fit for my shape/shape?

Kildare village have a service, it's complementary, I'm somewhat open to paying someone who's truely independent and can direct me on size,fit, colours, hints and tips, as opposed to biasing their feedback (consciously or unconsciously) towards products in their store/network.

I've seen such a service in Derry and I'm sure the likes of BT and other high end stores would also offer same. However, I would be inclined to go to a good menswear store, e.g. Louis Copeland or maybe a lower cost store and explain my requirements to them. I'm sure that they would understand the brief as well if not better than a 'personal shopper'. Just mho.

Hi Slim, that makes a lot of sense.

Although I have been to places like Louis Copland before, maybe they do have a broader scope than I am giving them credit for, but in my mind they are suit focused, and the fit of the suit perhaps more than what style actually works best?

I'm also looking for advice beyond suits, business casual for example, smart jeans & blazer (but what fit is actually smart under what blazer....?).

Possible splitting hairs but if there's a difference between a personal shopper and personal stylist, it's the stylist I am curious about...

Possible splitting hairs but if there's a difference between a personal shopper and personal stylist, it's the stylist I am curious about...
I always remember the scene in crazy stupid love where Ryan gosling is trying to style up Steve carrell.

Hi Slim, that makes a lot of sense.

Although I have been to places like Louis Copland before, maybe they do have a broader scope than I am giving them credit for, but in my mind they are suit focused, and the fit of the suit perhaps more than what style actually works best?

I'm also looking for advice beyond suits, business casual for example, smart jeans & blazer (but what fit is actually smart under what blazer....?).
Louis Copeland is very much "city" styling.

But there are many long standing menswear stores that have years of experience and will advise well

Jim Markey in Drumcondra are an excellent example, Diffney are another option.

Sometimes it's worth heading out of Dublin too - Galvin's in Tullamore, Brown's of Naas and many more around the country.

Talk to them, and they will advise.

Markeys would be my recommendation if you are Dublin based.

Has anyone got experience of this? I see the internet is full of various people with their small business but it's impossible to know who would really be a true value add.

The context of my consideration is changing employment and needing more executive/sharp attire, and wanting to get things that are actually a good fit for my shape/shape?

Kildare village have a service, it's complementary, I'm somewhat open to paying someone who's truely independent and can direct me on size,fit, colours, hints and tips, as opposed to biasing their feedback (consciously or unconsciously) towards products in their store/network.
Men's style hasn't changed in about 50 years in reality, cuts have but the overall aesthetic hasn't, it's pretty simple.

For work a well fitted navy or charcoal suit, plain blue or white shirt (or a stripe variation thereof) with a complimentary tie, personally i think a nice watch is a good addition aswell.

A decent pair of shoes will probably last the next 20 years, black church derbys (or crockett and jones) or loake for something less expensive bt still good quality.

Business casual is khaki chinos (or navy), oxford button down shirt (again blue, white, stripes thereof) and penny or tasseled loafers in brown leather or suede (crockett and jones do very nice loafers) with a well fitted blazer.

2 button suits, only ever close the top button, make sure your trouser lengths are tailored correctly and same for jacket sleeves. Black suits and pink shirts dont suit the majority of us pale face irish folks.

Simple is better and looks better.

If you want casual inspiration take a look at this instagram account, he sells the shirts and chinos

Has Askaboutmoney time travelled back to the 50s or something? :eek:
Like i said mens style (in a more formal sense) hasnt really changed since then, however if you believe it has i think the scene is set for you expand on that.

M&S is good for work suits and always buy two pairs trousers for the one suit. Their shirts are good quality and usually wash well. Not too sure about their non-iron shirts as I wonder does such a thing really exist :) They have staff who can give advice also. Not familiar with their casual stuff.

Jim Markey in Drumcondra are an excellent example...

Markeys would be my recommendation if you are Dublin based.
I second that. I've used them for years now and they're excellent. They stock classic designs in good quality brands, suitable for work and leisure. Great personal service and advice too, especially if you're an awkward size.

For shirts I use Charles Tyrwhitt online. http://www.ctshirts.co.uk (www.ctshirts.co.uk) Really top class quality, good multi-buy offers, you can specify sleeve length and good customer service. Wide range of single cuff, double cuff and short sleeves. They have a nice range of "non-iron" shirts, which would probably be better described as needing very little ironing, especially if you dry them on a hanger or over the back of a chair!

Has Askaboutmoney time travelled back to the 50s or something? :eek:

I'd agree. These days a polo neck/turtle neck under a suit or a well fitted crew neck works very well for both formal and smart casual.
Fine-knit and well fitted knitwear (a fine knit merino crew neck or v neck) can work well for business casual too. Don't go for heavy knits though or thick layers. Also some knitwear now even has colours for a smarter look.

I'd agree. These days a polo neck/turtle neck under a suit or a well fitted crew neck works very well for both formal and smart casual.
Fine-knit and well fitted knitwear (a fine knit merino crew neck or v neck) can work well for business casual too. Don't go for heavy knits though or thick layers. Also some knitwear now even has colours for a smarter look.
hang on a minute, this back to the 50s 'banter' is being aimed at me i take it and this is the alternative.

let me unequivocal, a polo neck under a suit or blazer NEVER works well, on anyone.

id also urge people to look at the qn they are answering

"The context of my consideration is changing employment and needing more executive/sharp attire, and wanting to get things that are actually a good fit for my shape/shape?"

Executive / sharp attire most certainly isnt a polo neck under a suit jacket.

Back