buying a laser printer

rustbucket

Hi

Thinking about getting a laser printer for the home. I do a lot of printing at home and partner is doing research so prints a lot of articles etc.

Its eating up ink cartridges!

Looking for a good value laser printer. One with a decent ppm rate but also not too expensive to run (decent value toner etc)

Ive heard you should get about 1500 pages per toner. is this right?

Any advice or suggestions?

Bought a samsung laser in DID a couple of months back for €80, very happy with it
[broken link removed]
Price seems v.competitive compared to online.
Comes with a 1500 page toner (S).
Still going but have ordered a 2500 page toner (L) from amazon for about €62

Note that in general they assume 5% coverage when quoting pages, so mileage can vary. If there's alot of graphics or closely spaced text, coverage will be higher (& yield lower)

I had a black n white one many moons ago:) and later read that they are very unhealthy to be around so think carefully if I were you.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a laser over an inkjet? Currently have an oldish HP inkjet but was thinking of getting a wireless one instead. Saw the Kodak photosmart [or something like that] advertised but its expensive. I assume its inkjet. But apparently has really cheap ink cartridges after that?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a laser over an inkjet? Currently have an oldish HP inkjet but was thinking of getting a wireless one instead. Saw the Kodak photosmart [or something like that] advertised but its expensive. I assume its inkjet. But apparently has really cheap ink cartridges after that?

Not sure if this post is of any use to you.

I think B+W laser is the way to go also.
Really, how often do we need colour?
And many inkjet printers do not have a b+w only option - thus forcing you to print everything in full colour when b+w would suffice.

I would check the price of toner cartridges first (compare using pages per cartridge) before buying as it seems to me that many printers are sold cheaply only to get you with higher cartridge prices. A price difference of 10 euro per cartridge soon eliminates the advantage of a cheap 90 euro printer.

I feel a black-and-white laser printer is the best purchase. I've seen some nice printers on the HP Web-site at very tempting prices. No doubt, these same models can be got cheaper from places like Amazon. Black-and-white laser printers produce excellent pages of text and can be difficult to distinguish from commercially-produced examples.

Did you know that laser printers must be used by a specified minimum amount per month so that the printer performs 'as per spec'. For example, the recommended monthly minimum page volume is 250 pages for HP's cheapest laser printer (£88). This output figure is much higher for their more expensive models. Because of this, you need to examine your printing need carefully.

Don't forget to use an ink-saving font. It could make quite a difference if you print a lot.

Interesting article here:

[broken link removed]

Back