Life Income Protection exclusion

WN4

An application for Income Protection / PHI has been accepted but a "back" exclusion has been applied.

Is it worth taking out income protection with this exclusion? My thinking is that in the event of a claim the insurer would find a way of relating the ailment to the "back".

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I would not think that a back exclusion would be a problem unless of course that was the reason that you were off work. I would think that a back problem is one of thousands of conditions that you could be off work for, the most common claim's received for these policies is mental health with cancer and back pain coming in a distant 2nd and 3rd respectively. Women for what ever reason have a much higher incident of claiming for mental health and cancer when compared to men while they have about the same claims levels for back pain. With regard to your back problem they would also exclude arthritis of the back.

Generally an exclusion is as a result of previous experience with either your job or with your own health record in particular. For instance: a creche worker might have a back exclusion for the obvious reason they bend over and pick up children every day (that's not a real life example, just to demonstrate the point). Otherwise it is likely that on your questionnaire and disclosure that you mentioned some kind of back ailment or issue in your past and the general principle of not providing cover for pre-existing problems applies.

Back