Opinions about Trabolgan anyone?

Hi, just wanted to say we're just back from Trabolgan and had a great holiday although we spent a lot more money than we thought we would! We brought our three children (6,3 and 7 mts) and they loved it. Accommodation was alot better than we expected ( after reading this site we were a bit un-nerved!) It was clean and very comfortable and spacious considering five adults and three children. We stayed in forest oak and were more than satisfied with everything apart from the weather! I would suggest they lower their prices for residents in the sports centre though all that extra cost crippled us by the end of the week! hope this is of help to anyone planning a holiday there, we're def going to book again with more money in our pockets though!!!!!!! :L

Spent a week in Youghal in the last week in June 07. Weather could at best be described as benign. Having said that the indoor leisure centre was fantastic and the town is a great base for seeing East Cork. Anyways...went to Trabolgan on the Tuesday to see the Barney show. I have 2 kids aged 4 and nearly 2. Show itself was great (25 mins long) and the reps got everybody going. Good fun all round and they charge €5 per child for the show (no charge for adults). We also visited the pool which was fine but not great. Anyway afterwards took a stroll around and headed down to the pier. Couple of things which I noted. The place was absolutely spotless but there was plenty of wasps around..too many for my liking. The other thing I noted that a weeks accommodation for the end of June would have cost me around €995 whereas I was paying €340 in Youghal. I reckon at these rates Trabolgan is a lot on the pricey side. To be fair I had used the Super Value Get Away breaks offer but I bet you could get a good deal on the same venue over the summer. Trabolgan's prices rise steeply during the school holidays. I would suggest that you base yourself somewhere else and use the extra cash to have a memorable holiday. East Cork....Youghal itself is steeped in history if you care to look. Fota is not too far away and the kids will love it. Other places to visit include Cork City itself, Ballycotton, Stephen Pearce Pottery in Shanagarry (where we showed up out of the blue and the kids were immediately included in a pottery session where my son made a clay santa). The kids will love the beach in Youghal. Good luck with whatever you decide.

this is not graham 07 but his son,
i would like to post since i was working in trabolgan as an adventure sports instructor last summer and this , well I'm leaving in 3 days as there are very awkward hours and extrememly low pay...if u are planning to go to trabolgan and expect activities for all your children then think again, if they are under 5 years old then there isn't too much for them to do, the ages groups for the "mini activities ,paddling boats etc" are minimum of 5, the zip wire 6 and most activities older again,the perfect age is 8. also i have heard complaints day after day about accomodation and food. They are not the best. We in the canteen eat as ye do in the restaurant and I must say it can be revolting ......I shall lastly say that should you do decide to come to trabolgan then make sure to bring CLOSED TOES SHOES, this is extremely important for almost every activity in T.A.S (trabolgan adventure sports)..

also to GVA the fight that occured was because two rival gangs from dublin booked into trabolgan,and it was a disaster, no one other than the fighers got hurt, security quickly got all civilians out of the way and protected before even attempting to stop the fight as safey of people are more important than anything else. I was there and it was handled as best as humanly possible .

I am booked to go to Trabolgan for the 1st week of September with the hubby and a 3 year old. I am a bit un-nerved by the fact that reports of accomadation, hygeine and food are so negative. We are booked into the Sycamore which I was told that it was the most luxiourous (cant spell that word) with it having a conservatory, we had dreams of doing family stuff during the day with a bottle of wine or two at night (after all it is advertising itself as a 4* resort. I am now dreading it as I sold the hubby on the idea. Is it really as bad as most people are saying?

Sharon 123,

I remeber going as akid and thinking the place was the best thing ever and have since returned as an adult and would give it the thumbs up.

Alot of people today seem to want alot more for their money, but the fact is the resort has alot going for it, the accommodation is basic but comfortable and ideal for families, some parts of the resorts are beautiful, and there are loads of activities on-site. If the food is 'revoltin' there are options such as nearby cork city and or simply cook at home.

I don't think you have anything to worry about

Just bumping up this thread, I am considering going here for a few days in the summer, anyone been there recently ?

9 of us went (2 families) last year & kids loved it...it is a kiddies place & kids holidays...as adults you are sick of shows after 2 nites.

Price was ok for July as 2 familes split cost of the largest house available. House wasn't spotless but fine - houses need updating but otherwise clean enough.

Facilities great & kids want to go back again. Food on site very good - choice of restaurant with great tasting & value meals, then take away pizza/chips/burger place and all very edible. Also so near Fota Wildlife which is great day out.

I have to agree, the houses were not that clean, I went with a large group last year, our house was the only house that did'nt have ants crawling on the worktops, also alot of very noisy teanagers running around in the middle of the night

ants...yuck...thankfully didn't have them....did have noisy teenagers us adults were probably as bad!! One other thing i just wanted to add is i didn't find the houses that secure windows & doors look like would just pop open so we kept valuables, money etc on us at all times.

Is it worth a day trip? Will be in Cork for 2 weeks over the Summer and need some day trips other than the beach.

We went the first week in June and our kids had a great time. Our house was spotless clean. Yes, could definitely do with being updated a bit but couldn't fault them at all on cleanliness. The place was very well run too. Security excellent. The pool as great - 4 life guards on every day we were there. Ate in the Restaurant a couple of times. Food was fine - not overly fancy but quality was good. Chipper there good too. My kids are 6 & 4 and definitely a great holiday for kids that age. Play grounds are great & my 6 year old loved the Arcade! A good percentage of Travellers there while we were there but no trouble whatsoever from them. It's definitely worth a day trip & I probably would bring my gang back again.

We went on a day trip last year and the kids loved it because the indoor pool has a great slide.

No interest in shows or amusement arcades etc, but the pool was worth the trip especially if you want to pass a day in poor weather.

Back