Mortgage/Deeds putting both our names on - how

leelee

Confusing but I will try do as simple as possible,

Over 10 years ago we bought my BF parents house after they died - house was left between his brothers/sisters and we bought them out - if both of our names went on mortgage a family member wanted to be paid a lot more, so to keep simple he took out the mortgage on the house and just his name appears on the deeds.

Since they we have married & had 2 children. We now want to have my name appear on the mortgage/deeds so I can also take out things like mortgage protection as i am the main earner of the household (he is self employed) and also to keep things simple if god forbid something happened to either of us.

Where do I start...(my husband is awful at this type of thing and won't do the phone calls) ...if I ring the bank they won't speak to me as it is his name on the mortgage and they pass you from one section to another.

Do i start with solicitor and does anyone know what type of cost would be involved?

Sorry this may need to appear on the legal board?

'Do i start with solicitor and does anyone know what type of cost would be involved?'

Yes, start with solicitor. Will cost between 500-1000 ( plus VAT and outlays) depending on what you want to do ( new mortgage/ stay with old mortgage).

Ask for a general quote first but very often stuff shows up -( I am finding it next to impossible to complete anything at the moment with issues arising and banks being slow to deal with things) so better to go with a solicitor you've had recommended to you.
Its also very helpful if you identify what you want to do and when and if there are any issues ( planning, tax, boundaries, disputes etc.,etc - flag them early). So transfer into joint names and either continue with current mortgage or get new mortgage.

The better prepared and hands on you are the easier and cheaper it is for you/the solicitor.

mf

MF - thanks a million for such a quick and informative response!

we are not going with a new mortgage - i just want to have paperwork in order for the future and for our kids future.

I will put a call into the original solicitor we used - we thought we were organised at the time and done wills etc., but recently i am making sure we are both covered for insurance, mortgage protection etc and I just remembered this was something we were meant to do many years ago!

Need to save up the money now to do it!!

Thanks again.

Back