21-10-11, Did anyone get their voting cards yet?

You don't need the actual voting card to vote. Once you're on the register and you have some ID, you can vote.

So why does the state waste a fortune printing them and sending them out?
I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that they are a useful reminder for many people about the fact that the election is happening, the date of the election, the location of the polling station, the opening hours of the polling station etc. I'd guess that stopping the cards could dramatically reduce the turnout figures.

But why don't you ask the Dept Environment - they're the experts.

As "Complainer" has stated Polling Cards are sent out as an aid to the voter, i.e. date of election, polling station, etc. You do not need a Polling Card to vote once you are registered. A polling card should not be used as a form of identification when voting.

With the exception of local authority elections, polling cards are sent out by the County Registrar (Dept of Justice) who is the Returning Officer for Presidential/Dáil, European Elections and Referenda. The local authority assists the Co. Registrar as it has the responsibility in compiling the Reg of Electors.
If polling cards were not sent out, there would be uproar. It's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't

What entitles you to be a voter in the presidential elections?
Are British passport holders excluded?

I'm British and I got a voting card. My British friends also got them. A common factor is we're all (3 of us) married to Irish men.

Have to say I'm surprised myself but there you go.

If you're not an Irish citizen then I am very surprised and suspect that you are not entitled to vote regardless of you receiving a polling card. Perhaps somebody filled in the electoral register update form incorrectly?

Update: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_presidential_election#Overview

All Irish citizens entered on the current electoral register are eligible to vote.[1][4] While both Irish and UK citizens resident in the state may vote in elections to Dáil Éireann (the lower house of parliament), only Irish citizens of at least eighteen years of age may vote in the election of the President.

I'm British and I got a voting card. My British friends also got them. A common factor is we're all (3 of us) married to Irish men.

This likely means that the register of electors is incorrect and does not have you marked correctly as British passport holders, not Irish citizens.

The fact that your spouse is Irish is irelevant, but the register is full of errors, so this does not surprise me.

It should also be noted that only Irish citizens are entitled to vote in the referendums as well on Thursday.

Are you living in a constituency that has a bye-election on Thursday? You would be eligible to vote in that case.

Back