Motor Car insurance and sight in only one eye.

dymo

My husband had an accident on Friday and his eyesight in one of his eyes is going to be very bad for a number of months. As he is a cabinet maker and self employed he needs to be able to drive. Does anyone know if it possible that he can still drive once his insurance company is informed or has anyone come across this before.

If the vision in his good eye is normal and the ophthalmologist or GP will certify this then he should be ok. There are plenty of people driving with just 1 good eye.

one he holds a licence to drive, is entitled to hold that licence, and has not been disqualified, then he is covered under the insurance

Sorry to hear this...my parent had an eye accident few yrs back,,.unfort after good few months it appeared things left too late to restore sight...can just about make out shadows in bad eye...on painkillers....can drive but prefers not...has has couple run in with static objects....best of luck...it is so easy for accidents to happen

Do we need to inform our insurance company and can they increase the premium on it

Do inform them, otherwise they may try to use it as a reason to deny claims in future

I have no experience of this, but it is logical that the insurance company could decide to increase the premium. 1 bad eye = vision impairment = increased risk of accident. 50% vision is a serious risk to all other road users. Would an aeroplane, tram, bus, train, HGV, taxi be controlled by a one eyed person?

Do we need to inform our insurance company and can they increase the premium on it

The loss of sight in one eye brings with it the loss of 3D vision, which has a major impact on trying to judge distances and speed of oncoming traffic and all that is connected with these judgements whilst driving.

While I personally know of one person who went from full vision to losing sight in one eye, they have told me of the very real and sometimes frightening experiences of driving without the benefit of 3D plus the inherent loss of peripheral vision on one side.

Please tell Mr. dymo to be EXTREMELY careful.

I agree with SparkRite - the loss of ability to see in 3D, judge depth and distance is a major thing, especially if one has been used to having it. Close one eye - keep it closed and attempt to run to a distant part of whatever building you're currently in, navigating around a few obstacles while you go.

Regardless of the legality of the insurance aspect, I think that a lot more time should be given to figuring out practical ways of helping your husband stay away from driving for personal safety as much as possible. Are there friends and relatives who could help him out? The occasional taxi?

you have to tell an insurer that you were glasses so they need to be made aware of this. You may also need to inform the licensing authority.

Dymo, is your husband under the care of an ophthalmologist? They deal with this on a regular basis and can advise re: licensing, time needed to adjust to loss of stereo vision, etc.

Yes he is i am going to talk to her on Monday She has told him that he should be able to go back driving but it is a bit soon to say when

Back