How to fund a 'Builders Finish'?

J

Jasmine

Howdy,
We are hoping to put in an offer on a house that has a builders finish. The house in its current state was valued by the bank at €320k. We are planning to put in an offer of €240k but will need another €50k to finish it off.
We really need the builder to increase the purchase price of the house to €290k so we will get enough cash to kit out the house. It will mean the builder will have to ‘finish’ the house. We would prefer not to have go this route because he will probably take a cut for himself here and there and send us to particular suppliers he deals with. We may be able to get better value ourselves. It also means his timetable would dictate when things get done and he is in the middle of a big project at the minute.
Is there any way around this? I’d love to just give him the €240k and be done with it- but we need the extra cash…..
We are mortgage approved for a much larger sum than what we will be looking for, but the bank says they can only give us 92% of the purchase price or the valuation – whichever is lower. We need 92% of €290k - I’m a little uneasy about handing over the €50k and being at the mercy of this person we don’t even know……help!

You can get 92% of the purchase price of €240k then if you can show the lender that the work you will do to the building will bring the completed value to say €350k, the lender may be willing to further advance you the finance to complete the build in stage payments.

www.moneybackmortgages.ie

You can get 92% of the purchase price of €240k then if you can show the lender that the work you will do to the building will bring the completed value to say €350k, the lender may be willing to further advance you the finance to complete the build in stage payments.

Hi, not sure if it makes a difference but there is no 'building work' left to complete - just kitchen, flooring, fireplace etc......

Apologies, sped read your post (badly) :eek:
My advice was in relation to an unfinished property.

Back