Asking price for houses

We sold our house 10k under asking price. We priced it acording to 3 EA valuations as we wanted a relatively quick sale . Got sale agreed in 2 weeks though so we were happy we priced it correctly.

We are now househunting. Went to see a house in Turnberry that got sale agreed 5k above asking price. Looking at another house where EA says he is open to offers 10% under asking price as its on market 14 months. So its really a case of getting to know the markets in the area you are interested in as we are slowly getting to grips with what houses are priced to sell and which are priced unrealistically. It also comes down to whether 1 or more are for sale in close proximity to eachother as if they are, they keep competing with eachother which is great for a buyer.

I live in the Midlands. Have been househunting for 2 years. Estate Agent recently told me to 'ignore asking prices'. As they have seen offers of up to 100k below asking being accepted. They told me to view and bid on houses within 100k of my budget.
I personally know of two houses sales in my area - 3 bed asking 295k, after a year 225k was accepted. A 4 bed asking 295k - 200k was accepted.
However, some sellers are unrealistic.
Do your research.
If you don't already live in your chosen area, rent there for a year and househunt from there. Then you can get to know neighbours, estate agents, which estates, schools etc are good.

Back