Single mother cant get mortgage

L

Loneparent72

Leukoshoopr is my brother and he is a kind, honest and a very loving son, brother, husband, father and friend. Thank you for looking out for me and your niece.

Robin Banks, : “Needing / Wanting” a house is a basic necessity of life. We all need oxygen, water, food, warmth and shelter to survive, and compassion goes a very long way……I do hope you get your hearts desires and are truly happy, and your Mercedes & BMW keeps you warm and safe at night.

John Rambo, I do hope you never find yourself in an unplanned, unexpected predicament which turns your whole life upside down and not to mention brings you to the brink of death.

I was once like “you” / taxpayer. When I finished my leaving cert I continued to further my education in full time and evening diploma courses. I worked and paid taxes like the rest of society. I married, bought a house, continued to work, and complete my evening courses, I paid taxes, stamp duty, mortgages etc. My perfect planned life didn’t work out and I am now divorced 5 years.

I became pregnant in 2006, I still worked full time even though I was ill, I am a lone parent trying to support me and my daughter on a low part-time wage and one parent family payment.(which i am very grateful for)
I have done everything by the book ( I am not looking for credit here as it should be done this way) unfortunately our current economy, our government and welfare officers don’t reward honesty, they are blinded and are taken in by some liars, and greedy people, these are the ones who know how to cheat the system, this works for them, but unfortunately the people who are honest and genuinely need help to survive are being pushed away at every door and then are been insulted with comments such as "well if you werent working" or if only you had of come out of work on the sick earlier instead of working upto your maternity leave.... you would be entitled to .......

I went through all the proper authorities, filled out forms after forms only to be told,” well if you weren’t working part-time the community welfare office could give you €900 towards your rent but as you are working 19 hours a week you will only get €300 towards your rent.

So you tell me, what can I do? I am a hard working, honest, genuine person trying to contribute to life, pay my way and still have some dignity to make my daughter proud.

How can I improve my situation, it would be so much easier to lie to the community officer / social welfare but I was not brought up that way!!!!!

I only came upon your thread just now which is very sad. Your predicament is awful and I objected to the thread being closed becasue some of the comments made were very judgmental which we can all be sometimes (me included) if we don't have all the facts.

Here is my objection to the closure which I posted on the private posts earlier today:

------------
Bronte said:
I don't think you should have closed this thread. Sadie suggesting something illegal so she should be penalised, the OP never suggested she would do anything illegal and John Rambo seemed to be making another point other than the illegal advice about the fact the sister has a baby and it was her own fault despite the fact the sister was working etc. This seemed to be a judgment on single mothers or people having children. Maybe I misunderstood him but that's the impression I got.
[/quote]

------------

Lone parent 72 - I think a lot of people are frustrated as you are, they are struggling and trying to do their best and to do the right thing, sometimes this comes out the wrong way in reaction to people's stories and anger at the current goings on at the top in Ireland.
In any case it cannot be a nice thing to have to live in a relation's house with a child, when that relation is married and also has children. I know of one very similar case to yours but it's 3 kids back from America. For both families living in the house it's hell on earth. I love my siblings but I don't know how well I would cope, or they for that matter they, if we had to all live in one house together.
As far as I can figure out the social welfare system, in your case you would be better off giving up your job, as far as I know you would then be ineligible for the 'dole' for 9 weeks (something like that, maybe it's 6 weeks) than you would have an income and be able to get housing with a rent allowance. Giving up your job is not illegal.

I'm so sorry about your situation. These are very tough times we're living in. I read the other thread too and I can see why it would be very hard for all of you sharing the one house. I wish I could give you a hug.

The only solution that comes to mind is to see if there's another single mom in the area who would like to share a house and split the rent. Or a single parent who already has a house and is struggling with the mortgage and would be glad to take you and your little one in. It's a possibility. It would be worth putting up a notice in Supervalu and other places asking about it.

These are not ideal solutions but would perhaps be a step up for you.

Here's a link to a website http://www.onefamily.ie and they provide information and support to single parents. It's just a thought but perhaps they would have ideas for what your next step would be regarding accommodation? I'm sure they've comes across similar situations in the past. You can phone or email them for support.

Good luck to you.

Robin Banks, : “Needing / Wanting” a house is a basic necessity of life. We all need oxygen, water, food, warmth and shelter to survive, and compassion goes a very long way……I do hope you get your hearts desires and are truly happy, and your Mercedes & BMW keeps you warm and safe at night.

In defence of Robin Banks, all he suggested was that you cannot buy a house just because you need/want one. Unfortunately you have found yourself in a situation (and as you have outlined not by your wrong-doing) where you cannot afford a mortgage and therefore cannot buy a house. The only option open to you is renting or social housing.

Back