Costs involved in selling

Breso78

Hi - 1st time poster here so maybe all my queries have been answered already so if they have apologies.

I'm looking to put apartment on the market with a view to upgrading to a house (16 month old needs space). Bought the Apt for approx 350k and theres just over 300k left on the mortgage. I'm on a fixed rate of 5.15 till May '11 so theres breakout fee of 15k approx. I've had a few different valuations on the Apt which vary quite a bit. Basically I'm not sure what sort of costs are involved in selling a place - I'm looking for a quick enough sale just so I can be rid of the apt and start looking for a house.
Looking for advice/suggestions on costs involved in selling - agent fees, solicitors fees, hidden costs (whaterver they may be??) so I can figure out what the minimum price I could sell at is to at the very worst break even?
Apologies if this doesn't make sense.

selling fees

1. Auctioneers could charge anything from 1% to 2% of the sale price..Haggle.

2. Solicitors can charge anything from a flat fee or up to 1% of the sale price plus VAT at 21.5% and add another 200 euros for faxes leters phonecalls etc. (negotiable

3. Factor in your fixed rate breakage cost to the mortgage comapany, unless you ask them to transfer this fixed rate onto a new property with a new mortgage( only the same mortgage company can do this but it saves your breakage fee ( i did this )

4. The mortggage company normally charges n administration fee on closing the mortgage of roughly 100 euros.

5. Factor in rent if you do not buy straight away.

6. Please also note, to apply for a new mortgage ..you are no longer a first time buyer, so they may not lend you 92%...talk to your bank or broker first.

7. You may be asked to get the apt a BER Cert.cost 500 euros ...negotiable

Purchasing

1. If you purchase at the same time as selling the solicitor will normally do some kind of deal as he is transacting two different instructions, but they normally give you a discount. If you transact later....its up to 1% plus vat of 21.5% plus 500 for land registry etc

2. Valuation fee of new property of up to 150 euros

3. Deposit required to purchase new home...check your bank or broker for loan to values..they may be less than you think.

4. Check with your solicitor re Stamp Duty Costs...if applicable.

5.Costs to have any electicity, gas etc turned back on or changed over.

good luck

What was the lowest valuation you received? Was it less than the mortgage outstanding? If so then you will need funds to clear the balance of the mortgage, which may preclude you getting a mortgage on a new place...

Thanks for replies. Lowest was 320k and suggested putting on at 335k - I don't think give current market it would sell at that though. Basically trying to figure out if I did sell for 320 or 310 or whatever would i be covered on all costs. So i'd have in my head a minimum figure i could let the place go for.

Back