Motor FBD Website is misleading on Car Insurance Quote

Dermot

While visiting a friend today they were seeking online quotes for car Insurance. I watched them input their particulars on the brief Form "Car Insurance Quote" on the FBD website which asked for the following particulars Age, Male/Female, License Type, N.C.D., County you live in, Engine size and car value and Car reg and make of car. Next they were given the option of 3rd Party or comprehensive Insurance. They were quoted €395.14 at this stage for Comprehensive. They could not proceed any further online until they rang 1890 614 614 to get queried on further details.
When they got online they were asked all of the above questions and all the answers would be very positive from an Insurance point of view. Never had an accident or claim Full D/L for more than 10 years etc. The only new information was that he was a chef. He would only be using it for private purposes. He has no convictions of any sort or penalty points. The quote was now €486.
The lady was asked why the difference from the online quote and she stated that this was because it was given over the phone. She had originally been told of the online reference no and when she was reminded of this she asked them to hold and she would check it out. She came back and she stated that it was because when she in-putted the DOB that this caused the increase only to be told that he had given his correct age on the original online quote and it was the same age as she had in putted. She asked them to hold on and she came back again after a couple of mins and said that it was because of the county even though this was on the original online quote.
I am talking about two different quotes for the same policy. I think this online quote system is very misleading and should be highlighted. This online quote by FBD shows comparisons with other Insurance companies also
There was absolutely no explanation that stood up to any scrutiny. Sorry for being long winded on the subject and if it is in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

Thanks vandriver. The restaurant that he works in does not have an alcohol license. This was not on the list of "excuses" given for increasing the premium from the original online quote.

Back