returned goods - refund less %

paddyodoors

Hi

just wondering what peoples opinion's were on the following.

Prior to xmas I purchased a tech gadget, which since it was xmas the returns policy of 28 days was extended, until the 9th Jan.

I tried it out but found it was unreliable or poor quality. So I decided to return it as I wasn't going to use it and due to the snow and xmas et al, I delayed the return in light of the extended returns date and only brought back this last weekend.

They obviously weren't happy in the shop about this, firstly saying it was passed the return date until I pointed out the message on the receipt. The guy then tells me, even though this was in the original box not damaged in any way and and all components were there, that the internal packaging was missing. i.e. cable ties and apparently some of the bits had there own box. (Cable ties for sure I didn't keep, but I dont recall ever having the other internal box).

Due to this he refused to give me the full refund and would only do it less 5%.

So I am just wondering A. Is this acceptible to do and B. Can they pick an arbitary number as a reduced refund?

cheers
Paddy

Yes & yes.

They didn't have to give you anything, as the product is not faulty.
They now can't sell it as new (particularly in view of the missing packaging), and so will probably have to sell it at a discount.

OP stated that the product is "unreliable or poor quality"

Does this not qualify as faulty?

Hi, thanks for replies.

I think the product probably works as designed, its just not that great, but for €160 odd it was not good enuf. I did not return as not fit for purpose anyway, just as an unwanted item.

The shop only had the outer box on display when I purchased and got the components out of a plastic bag from the storeroom and plonked them in the box at the till. So since the display outer box and all components are in perfect condition there is without a shadow of a doubt no way they would resell this as damaged / discounted goods.

Personally I thought they should have said they can't accept the return rather that taking off a random figure, - its this piece that I was uncomfortable with. (even though imho there was nothing in reality wrong with it to justify the refusal to refund).

Paddy

So they offered to take back your used goods, less a small %, and you feel it would be better service to have outright refused?

Particularly for tech items, there will be a cost (in time/effort) to accepting opened items for return. A staff member will have to check that it still works, that you haven't left anything on the memory, created accounts, etc, before repackaging it for sale.
Who do you think should bear that cost, you, or all the other customers of the store?

Berni

To clarify - they were tested for service rather than used, there is no memory, no accounts to be added and if it wasn't working i'd have returned within warranty as broken.

And yes I would rather its was yes or no and not subject to a random store clerk to decide on an amount he feels appropriate to deduct. I did not ask for a reduction at purchase when this came out of a carrier bag to be put into the external box.

Your standpoint is clear tho, so nothing further required, from you at least.

paddy

You wouldn't buy a car and then drive it and return it because you didn't like it. I think you should be happy they took it back at all even with the discount.

Doesn't look like you're going to get much sympathy here, does it?
Agree with you that a straight yes or no makes more sense, but then again some tech retailers can employ staff who, whilst knowing the product, may not be the most gifted in cop-on.

lol very true emaol - at least you get my point.

- to the comment from coldcake, maybe you needed to think on that one a bit more. Of course you wouldn't buy a car then return it if you didn't like it........thsi is because you would first test drive the show model of the car and only take delivery of a new model after you know you like it.

P

Most tech retailers have a restocking fee of 5%, so I don't think its the salesperson making up a figure.

As others have said, they don't have to accept non-faulty returns and doing so costs them money so a 5% restocking fee is better than nothing.

Back