Firhouse?

W

wpg

Looking for some info on what type of area Firhouse is. We have two toddlers and are looking around the area but have no idea of good / bad. Seems to be nice houses in woodlawn park grove for example but loking for info on amenities, schools, any anti social stuff, all the regulars i suppose.
any help would be great

Looking for some info on what type of area Firhouse is. We have two toddlers and are looking around the area but have no idea of good / bad. Seems to be nice houses in woodlawn park grove for example but loking for info on amenities, schools, any anti social stuff, all the regulars i suppose.
any help would be great

Firhouse is pretty nice, I live at the top part Ballycullen. Near the M50 square, dundrum shopping centre even liffey valley are within 10/15min drive. Little one goes to Colmcilles which is in Knocklyon hard to get into though, never had any problems there.

Hi, I moved to Woodlawn in Firhouse over 2 years ago. No kids but judging by the number around the area (and well behaved ones too!) it is nice place to rear a family. There sems to be a good mix of people in the area and no anti-social activity that I've picked up on. Range of schools and along bus route (49, 74, 75) drawback of which is slow commute during term time. Houses are a grand size for the price. If you have any questions let me know.

recently moved to knocklyon absolutely love the area, so glad we moved there

Hi wpg,

I moved to firhouse age 8 and just moved out last year to my own house aged 25. I think it's a great area to grow up, it has a good community atmosphere, lots of nice green areas, always alot of kids playing and sports being played in the green areas beside the community centre. There's a youth club and scout association at the community centre also and a couple of pubs with nice food, and a chinese restaurant within walking distance. I think in any area you'll have a few teenagers etc hanging around but in a harmless enough way, nothing too anti-social going on. The only disadvantage I found was that if you're getting on to the m50 the traffic is extremely heavy in the mornings.

I've lived in Ballycullen, Firhouse for the past three years. The only drawback I found was the horrendous traffic in the mornings, but that's improved dramatically in the past year due to some changes in road layout and two new bus routes (74 and 74A). Other than that, I've been very happy there. There's good local shops, easy access to the M50 and its also not too far from Liffey Valley and Dundrum Town Centre. Haven't experienced any serious anti-social behaviour either, just the usual stuff you get everywhere. One thing the area could benefit from is a couple of decent restaurants as, apart from a chinese there's nowhere to eat out locally unless you fancy pub grub.

I've lived in Ballycullen, Firhouse for the past three years. The only drawback I found was the horrendous traffic in the mornings, but that's improved dramatically in the past year due to some changes in road layout and two new bus routes (74 and 74A). Other than that, I've been very happy there. There's good local shops, easy access to the M50 and its also not too far from Liffey Valley and Dundrum Town Centre. Haven't experienced any serious anti-social behaviour either, just the usual stuff you get everywhere. One thing the area could benefit from is a couple of decent restaurants as, apart from a chinese there's nowhere to eat out locally unless you fancy pub grub.

I agree - it would be nice to have a restaurant tucked away somewhere.
Im in the newer part of Firhouse now and there is a small amount of anti social behaviour from residents along the Daletree Road, but other than that Ive never experienced anything elsewhere.

Couldn't agree more on the need for more 'ateing houses' in Firhouse. The food in the 'Speaker Connolly' is a cut above average (in fact better than that even) but otherwise tend to gravitate towards Terenure. A good greengrocers and a hardware would do a roaring trade if they were to set up in the long planned shopping centre. Hope the plans to fence off (and develop?) the area beside Scoil Carmel near Woodlawn have been firmly knocked on the head.

Couldn't agree more on the need for more 'ateing houses' in Firhouse. The food in the 'Speaker Connolly' is a cut above average (in fact better than that even) but otherwise tend to gravitate towards Terenure. A good greengrocers and a hardware would do a roaring trade if they were to set up in the long planned shopping centre. Hope the plans to fence off (and develop?) the area beside Scoil Carmel near Woodlawn have been firmly knocked on the head.

Theres a fantastic greengrocer (and organic foods) place in Ballyroan - beside the church, think its called Get Fresh, they do a lot of different products, wholewheat pastas, herbal teas, nice breads, gluten free foods, organic stuff, but the whole front of their shop is fruit and veg.

The nearest hardware is at Superquinn, Knocklyon but its not great - theres a B&Q handy enough in Tallaght though.

I just remembered theres a chinese restaurant above Scholars too (and China House at Firhouse shops), but if youre not into Chinese then the only other option is the Speaker - which is lovely alright but a bit of variety wouldnt go amiss. Is there really nowhere else?

Thanks Truthseeker. I don't drive unfortunately so I'm reliant on shopping locally or somewhere on the bus route home. I grew up in Ballyroan and remember two butchers, a fishmonger/green-grocer (where the current one is), a mini-mart, two newsagents, a hardware, a post-office and a chipper all a ten minute (walk) away along the Marian road - and that was in the 70's. Most of those shops are still there I think. The butchers re-opened in the Firhouse and I'm his best customer!

Theres a fantastic greengrocer (and organic foods) place in Ballyroan - beside the church, think its called Get Fresh, they do a lot of different products, wholewheat pastas, herbal teas, nice breads, gluten free foods, organic stuff, but the whole front of their shop is fruit and veg.

The nearest hardware is at Superquinn, Knocklyon but its not great - theres a B&Q handy enough in Tallaght though.

I just remembered theres a chinese restaurant above Scholars too (and China House at Firhouse shops), but if youre not into Chinese then the only other option is the Speaker - which is lovely alright but a bit of variety wouldnt go amiss. Is there really nowhere else?

I highly recommend China house for a sit down meal - never too busy - food is good and great for bringing kids too. Not a big fan of the one above Scholars. Some nice resturants in terenure. B&Q and woodies are not too far away for hardware. Roma is still on Marian road.
Traffic has improved alot recently will be interesting to see how it is once the schools start again.

I highly recommend China house for a sit down meal - never too busy - food is good and great for bringing kids too. Not a big fan of the one above Scholars. Some nice resturants in terenure. B&Q and woodies are not too far away for hardware. Roma is still on Marian road.
Traffic has improved alot recently will be interesting to see how it is once the schools start again.

Luckycharm - I meant to let you know, I tried out Lucky Star takeaway and I can confirm that The one at Woodstown shops has now lost my custom in favour of the very yummy food from Lucky Star - so cheers for that recommendation, my friday evenings in have improved greatly!

Tigri - di you know you can ask the butcher in Firhouse to make you specials (like for example I asked him did he do those 'stuffing wrapped with chicken breast wrapped with a rasher' and he said 'i dont make them up to sell but if you want them ill make them up for you, just pop in and let me know when and how many you want' - he gets great custom off me too, very obliging fellow and nice meat.

I hear you on the lack of local shops if you dont have a car - sure even as a car driver nearest garage to get petrol is knocklyon - which seems miles away from my end of firhouse.

agree with previous post, lucky charm take away does fab food and very reasonable :D

Luckycharm (not in the business yourself then?!) you're right about China House being nice, Woodstown is inferior fare - I've been given burnt rice, flacid duck and sauces with not a veg in sight. Although based on one delivery the Long Phung in Tallaght is the worst - rancid oil doesnt begin to describe.
Truthseeker, butcher is my hero too, have you tried the duck breasts - pricey but yum.

Truthseeker, butcher is my hero too, have you tried the duck breasts - pricey but yum.

Ooooh - must give them a try, we've been havin a 'lamb kebab-fest' recently with his lamb kebabs, the peppered steaks are yummy too :)

I working my way through his wares - all good and keeps me out of the takeaways!

Luckycharm (not in the business yourself then?!) you're right about China House being nice, Woodstown is inferior fare - I've been given burnt rice, flacid duck and sauces with not a veg in sight. Although based on one delivery the Long Phung in Tallaght is the worst - rancid oil doesnt begin to describe.

Far from it I cannot even cook well nothing edible anyway :eek: Nah went to scholars a couple of times - food was average - went to China house was impressed and been back a few times since.
For indian (i like spicey foods) did not like brasserie in rathfarnham but am a big fan of Megna ( I think is the name) above chartbusters opposite Rathdown motors in Terenure. Listening to me you would think I eat out alot - I only get out a few times a year so I am sure there are alot better foodies with more better opinions then me.
Where is this butcher you are talking about in Firhouse? always looking for some decent meat- will not go near Tesco anymore, superquinn is ok.
I heard of this place near the KCR that only opens Friday and Sat- it is very cheap and the meat is good. My parents have bought a good bit of stuff from there and have tasted it- not been yet.

Back