Changing to Winter Tyres - Help With Size Change?

flossie

Mods, this is more of a technical help, hence a new thread and not discussing it in the Winter Tyres thread already out there - hope this is OK.

I currently have 235/45/R17 tyres on my Passat. I got a nail in one this weekend, and was on Eiretyres website who have some good deals on wheels with winter tyres on. I have been lookign and wondering if someone can help.

For my car (09 Passat, 2.0TDi, 103kw/140bhp) it brings up a list of suitable tyres in different sizes. I will be going down to 16" if i get winter tyres, but wondering if there is any difference at all in getting 205/55 over 215/55? Will i notice much of a difference, other than in price? Am assuming it would be a straight swap over, as they are delivered on steel rims?

using 205/55/16 tyres, your speedo will read 70 mph while you are actually doing 71.4 mph
with 215/55/16s your speedo will read 70 mph while you are actually doing 72.6 mph

Assuming all the other parameters are correct (PCD, no. of wheel-bolts, offset, spigot size, etc) then I don't see much of a problem with either tyre.

Just ordered the Continental WinterContact TS830 on 215/55/97 (only 215/55 size had 97 load rating). €900 for 4 on steel rims. Worried about the cost, even if they are a good price, but hoping to get the wear out of them! Am a little bit excited now :D

Back