Dealing with Estate agents

missus09

need more advice- i was just wondering which estate agents people generally find the best to deal with because I am finding some of them out there incredible rude and dismissive and I am being as flexible and pleasant as I can. I mean surely in these current times, they need me more than I need them>?

would class myself as one of those FTB sitting on the fence, waiting for that one house to reach a price ,which I would deem value for money. About 12 months ago we had our first round of viewing and I was left far from impressed by the EA's that I encountered. Last month we decided to try the market again with an additional 4 viewings arranged with 4 different EAs. Only 1 turned up on time and turned on lights etc to prep the property, but could not answer a question on the house. All other EAs, from family run business, left us waiting for them to show at the arranged time ,for up to 20 mins without an apology. One even just walked through the house "bedroom down there , bathroom there, if you have any questions just give me a shout" and went and sat in the kitchen while we looked around. What are vendors paying these people for.
I accept in todays market they do encounter a lot of people like myself just checking the water, but is that not part of the job spec? For the others I honestly think that they have had Zero experience of having to sell. After a decade of buyers throwing money at them in the crazy days, many of these EA's never had to put a sales pitch together.
The one house that I was interested in, and asked the EA to get back to me with an answer to some of my questions. 1 week later no response I called back a week later and got a story that the vendor was on vacation. The vendor was a little surprised at this news when I contacted them directly, the following day. Negotiating direct from here

Having issues with EA from other perspective too. Selling.

House on the market since Sept last year. Estate agent said at time that they wouldnt put a sign outside but instead would advertise on web and have it a recommended house for when people are enquiring for similar house.

Havent heard a squeak from them since? No request for keys, not 1 viewing. If its the case that they feel the price they put on teh house then was too high, surely they should be instructing to reduce the price.

I contacted another agent since but they were just as lazy about coming out to take pictures. We live 20 mins outside limerick which must have been too far for them to travel!!!!

Like carsalesman, I find these guys are living in a dream world acting as though the market hasnt changed, up the same lazy selling and expecting it will all right itself in the end.

very frustrating...

It doesn't sound like they arein a dream world, they just sound incompetent. If they are not up to the job there are plenty more besides that will offer a professional service. Some people are incompetent no matter what market or employment they are in. If an EA displayed the lack of professionalism to me in a booming market I would still yank the business away from him. As a buyer, you could just hope that his negotiation skills match his punctuality.

Back