Free Stanford Investing Course starts October 13th

Hello,

Do you have a link where I can get more information, possibly apply etc ?

Many thanks

Hello,

I have since seen this on their website:

Our Research Community

Stanford University pursues the science of learning. Online learners are important participants in that pursuit. The information we gather from your engagement with our instructional offerings makes it possible for faculty, researchers, designers and engineers to continuously improve their work and, in that process, build learning science.

By registering as an online learner, you are also participating in research...
Has anyone ever done one of these courses before and if so, is it in any way personal or intrusive or particularly demanding on you ?

I started a Stanford Online course on quantum physics this time last year. No, it wasn't at all intrusive, no personal information collected or anything like that. I have to admit I didn't finish it -- I was using it as a primer for a proper university module in quantum physics that I was doing, but it ended up being too much work to keep up with both.

Previously I did a Coursera course, Introduction to Mathematical Thinking. Coursera is also founded by two Stanford professors, but is a separate for-profit venture. It was similarly non-intrusive, and I did finish that one. I actually learned a fair bit too, which was good because there is no point doing a MOOC for anything else -- there are no qualifications, and even the marking scheme is interesting. The students mark each other, since there is no way a free course can undertake to mark 60,000 participants which is what we had on that one. I don't know if it's the same approach for a final test on Stanford Online, though I would imagine it has the same ongoing assessment style of computer-marked multi-choice tests.

Coursera also had discussion forums to interact with other students, and I would be surprised if Stanford Online wasn't the same. One thing I liked about Coursera was that their video delivery platform allowed you to play videos at double and triple speed as well as pause and rewind. I like being able to have Professor Chipmunk whiz through the bits I'm au fait with, and slow down for the bits I need to concentrate on.

EDIT: I see Standford Online now asks for a mailing address when registering, but I think it'll let you ignore it. If not, I'd just fake it.

Hello,

Many thanks for the information. You seem to be well up to speed on these courses, full credit to you.

It's a shame that there is no documented certificate of completion for this course, but I guess there has to be a limit for what you get for nothing.

Again, my thanks.

Some of the MOOCs do offer certificates of achievement or completion, although they would be of limited value. Maybe this one doesn't because it's self-paced. The other one I did had quite a hectic pace.

I've signed up for this one, just to see what it's like. Would be interested if anyone else doing it has any observations. Actually, come to think of it, some of the MOOCs let you create your own discussion forums so that you can team up with people from the same country or timezone or with similar interests. We could have an AAM forum if it's allowed and anyone's interested. I'll post here if it is. I suspect the self-paced nature might mean there are no forums, though.

This course starts today, just in case anyone was interested. You can probably join and catch up anytime though. It's about three hours of self-paced video instruction, plus associated practice quizzes of five to ten hours (probably an overestimate). I've just glanced at the first video and it looks interesting enough that I'll probably stick with the course. Pleased to see the platform software has the 2x video option so you can speed through the less interesting / more familiar parts.

EDIT: Have done the first few videos and associated quizzes. The questions get surprisingly difficult quite quickly. Not the walk in the park I was expecting by any means. You'll need some maths that goes well beyond basic arithmetic.

..The questions get surprisingly difficult quite quickly. Not the walk in the park I was expecting by any means. You'll need some maths that goes well beyond basic arithmetic.

I should hope so, coming from Stanford. I have quite enough of the LCM (lowest common multiple), Larry Gogan-esque questions didn't suit your nonsense with some on-line stuff
ps
Thanks for heads-up on this MOOC

Back