Media Bias

Purple

I watched a little on Vincent Browne last night on TV3.
How does such a biased programme not fall foul of the Broadcasting Authority?
There is no attempt at balance or fairness. It is just a vehicle for expounding ultra-leftwing views.
People from the loony-left get an unfettered platform wax lyrical about how utterly unjust the country is and how “the most vulnerable in society”© are being viciously exploited by our right-wing establishment. It’s like the mirror image of America’s Fox News on the loony right.

Irish Independent and Sinn Fein
The behaviour of Mary Loo and the Shinners is disgraceful and shows that their heritage of coming from an organisation that did not respect the democratic will of the majority has not gone away. That said the coverage of their role in the water charges protests and the intimidation of TD’s etc by the Indo is hysterical and totally lacking in balance. Reading their front page articles and so-called analysis one would think this was Germany in the 1930’s.
Journalists are entitled to their views but editors have an obligation to balance those views within the totality of their newspapers.
This “agenda journalism” is not unusual with INM.

There is no attempt at balance or fairness. It is just a vehicle for expounding ultra-leftwing views.
People from the loony-left get an unfettered platform wax lyrical about how utterly unjust the country is and how “the most vulnerable in society”© are being viciously exploited by our right-wing establishment. It’s like the mirror image of America’s Fox News on the loony right.

The behaviour of Mary Loo and the Shinners is disgraceful and shows that their heritage of coming from an organisation that did not respect the democratic will of the majority has not gone away. That said the coverage of their role in the water charges protests and the intimidation of TD’s etc by the Indo is hysterical and totally lacking in balance. Reading their front page articles and so-called analysis one would think this was Germany in the 1930’s.
Journalists are entitled to their views but editors have an obligation to balance those views within the totality of their newspapers.

Agree.

It seems that a news outlet, newspaper, TV station etc seem to take a 'side' and will take up that side's stance no matter what the issue.

The RTE news is like a government party broadcast!

The programme is on so late at night that those of us who have to get up in the morning to do a day's work, and hopefully earn a few bob, are already gone to bed.

So they're left with the idlers, drunks and insomniacs. :)

yeah there were a few people on it who weren't singing the praises of IW and the government.......disgraceful stuff!

VB's show if more infotainment than news . . and all of the print media push their own agenda (or perhaps the angle they believe that their target readership want). My issue is when RTE show a lack of balance as I'm paying directly for that service.

To me it's like a comedy show dressed up as news. I find it and Mario sketches interchangeable.
Agreed! I turned it on during the by-elections when a panel of the candidates were being "harangued" and for the first 5 minutes I genuinely though it was a comedy sketch (and a funny one at that!) :D

Perhaps not but RTE get the licence fee and should not be pushing any agenda.
I agree. Did you notice that in any employment issue, even dealing with "professionals" or "officers", the people involved are always referred to as "workers" and not employees or any other title.
They also refer to the Irish Congress of Trade Unions simply as "Congress".

As TV3 aren't licence fee funded, can they not push whatever agenda they want? Is that why he never gets pulled up

Did you hear the bit on VB on MOnday night where Dennis O'Brien was mentioned with regards to Irish Water and also to the allegation of his group of newspapers and their editorials being biased in their reporting of matters.

Vincent sure does like to shout down his guests though.Cringeworthy TV at its best.:(:eek:

Did you hear the bit on VB last night where Dennis O'Brien was mentioned with regards to Irish Water and also to his group of newspapers and editorials being biased in their reporting of matters?

I watched it last night but missed that. If that was said, Vinny will be down in the 4 courts...Dennis is very sensitive and has big ears....he can hear everything said in Ireland from his home in Malta!

I watched it last night but missed that. If that was said, Vinny will be down in the 4 courts...Dennis is very sensitive and has big ears....he can hear everything said in Ireland from his home in Malta!

It was on Monday night when VB and Paul Murphy had a big verbal spat with each other over the matter of Joan Burton and the water protestors.

Last night VB had the FG chap on the ropes and back pedaling over the Irish water and the housing crisis.

Have a look at it on the TV3 Player.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/41/87095/1/Tonight-with-Vincent-Browne

He’s the master of the false dichotomy.
He had some poor bugger from a government party on the last time I watched and he ganged up on his with a woman from the far left group Social Justice Ireland.
Vincent asked him why the government was spending money building a flyover at Newland’s Cross when there was a homelessness crisis. What an completely and utterly stupid question. What a nonsensical proposition; essentially that they're providing road infrastructure which generates wealth and therefore taxes for the state is detrimental to the provision of services for homeless people.

He just kept asking the hapless guy "did getting to Dublin 5 mins quicker have priority over housing homeless kids?" Like asking "have you stopped beating your wife?":( Why anybody who knows VB will be against them should go on his show is a mystery.

On the Sindo I agree with you Purple. I am far from a fan of Mary Kangaroo or Grisly but the OTT bashing is counterproductive as we saw in the last surge in SF support. It seemed every journo in last Sunday's edition was asked to have some pot shot at the enemy. I saw that Gene Kerrigan who I suspect of being a fellow traveller was dropped from his usual spot, I presume for not playing ball.

yeah there were a few people on it who weren't singing the praises of IW and the government.......disgraceful stuff!

If they are so pro-Irish Water, I don't understand why they're not raising the point of the significant section of the population who are currently on private water wells or group schemes, or who have private effluent treatment systems. 12% of the population have private well, there's another few percent who are on private group schemes, that's a significant portion of the population who are being ignored in this, especially by the 'we already pay for water in our taxes' brigade.

If they are so pro-Irish Water, I don't understand why they're not raising the point of the significant section of the population who are currently on private water wells or group schemes, or who have private effluent treatment systems. 12% of the population have private well, there's another few percent who are on private group schemes, that's a significant portion of the population who are being ignored in this, especially by the 'we already pay for water in our taxes' brigade.

But country folk aren't 'working class' in the Dublin sense of the word, and therefore don't count according to the left wing loonie/Union fringe.
Farmers get everything else for free anyways!

But country folk aren't 'working class' in the Dublin sense of the word, and therefore don't count according to the left wing loonie/Union fringe.
Farmers get everything else for free anyways!

Culchies as VB like to use that word alot when he refers to people living out in the countryside

Back