witnessing my signature to a will why? need a commisioner for oaths

NOAH

I witnessed a will years ago and person died July 2011, I have got an affidavit of attesting witness today for me to sign in presence of commissioner for oaths who will charge 10 euro. Its to enable grant of probate. Is this a normal process?

noah

" Is this a normal process?"

Yes.

The person asking you should have explained the reasons why. Or you should ask them.

mf

Everything you ever wanted to know..............

"http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/civil_law/commissioners_for_oaths.html"

mf

OK. So pre 2003 it was generally a free service. I suppose back then most COO's were local people like the teacher, the priest and even the publican.

The need for the affadavit should be set out in it. Ie feeble handwriting, staple attached, mark on will or whatever.

BTW, mf1- I had someone come in a while back for a stat declaration to be sworn. I went ahead and after when I asked for the 10, he said he didn't have the money for it. Ironically he was a taxi driver- so I asked him what would he do if he took a fare and then they said they didnt have the money to pay him? He looked baffled as if the two were entirely different.:rolleyes:

now that is very interesting, I have re-read the request and it has this bit in letter

" completed by you confirming that you did in fact witness Mrs Kelly signing her Will"

This was 5 years ago. I was half expecting a copy of my signature to be attached but there was nothing. As it was 10 euro for oath bit I just did it. The same letter was sent to the other witness.

noah

Back