Whirlpool Easytronic glass hob

joanmul

I have this hob for about 5 years (we think) and it was in daily use for dinners, etc. A couple of days ago one of the 'rings' stopped working and there was an almighty smell of melted plastic in the kitchen. The following full day later the whole lot went and the kitchen was filled with smoke. I don't remember what we paid for it but it was one of the more expensive models. Has anyone had this experience? I'm thinking of contacting Whirlpool as I was taken aback when the kitchen filled with smoke. There was a locking switch on the hob which meant I could leave something on a very low heat for hours and don't like to think what might have happened if I had done that and gone out. A salesman was seriously taken aback when he was told the hob went on fire - 'I never heard of that happening' he said.

I'm thinking of contacting Whirlpool ............ I could leave something on a very low heat for hours and don't like to think what might have happened if I had done that and gone out.

After 5 years it must be out of warranty, but contact Whirlpool anyway.

It wouldn't have been or would be a good idea to leave a hob on when you exit the building regardless whether it proved faulty or not.

joanmul said:
A salesman was seriously taken aback when he was told the hob went on fire - 'I never heard of that happening' he said."

That doesn't mean it couldn't happen. His experience might be limited! For all we know he could have started the job yesterday!

I would definitely contact Whirlpool. Detail that you mentioned the issue on a Consumer site - Askaboutmoney.com.

Marion

That doesn't mean it couldn't happen. His experience might be limited! For all we know he could have started the job yesterday!

I would definitely contact Whirlpool. Detail that you mentioned the issue on a Consumer site - Askaboutmoney.com.

Marion

Thanks for that. Will do, in the morning.

An update: Whirlpool sent out an engineer the day after my email to them. He filled out a report form and photographed it. I wasn't there but my husband was and he asked him what would be likely to happen and he said they would probably replace it. However, I got a letter today with the usual apologies about the inconvenience and all that. Then they say that the model came out in 2003 and I must have it since then (I didn't but can't prove it) and they have no record of them ever having to service it (true) so, in their opinion, I got very good value. As a conciliatory gesture, they offered a similar size and type hob to the one I had for 249e, which they say is a very substantial discount on the rrp, but I have seen it for 335e in Power City. There is still a strong smell of burnt plastic in the kitchen despite me washing the units,etc. It will have to be redecorated.

Back