Go permanent (from self employed)

Zulu2002

I'm currently working contract, but in a dead end role. It's not challenging, but it's hugely flexible. And I'm on a very good daily rate (for my job).

I've recently been offered a perm role in a company with good opportunities. However, they are looking for a "bottom figure" and I have an idea that they mean somewhere between mid 40-50K.

I'm married, and my wife doesn't earn. We have 2 properties, but are renting a third. Currently we afford a comfortable living.

I'm trying to work out a bottom figure for the role using the kpmg tax calc: kpmg.ie/budget2014/net-income-calculator.htm

Should I input the gross rental income for the 2 properties in the "Self Employed/Other Income" field, and if so, is that output reasonably accurate?

If so, it would appear that I might be able afford to make the move....

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

It all depends on whether or not you are likely in the future to continue to attract the same work on the same rate: if the answer is "yes" then there is no reason to currently accept a permanent role that will not progress. You would be better off to look for a permanent role on a rate closer to your current daily rate but hold still for the moment.

Understand where you are coming from though: I earn very good daily rates as an IT contractor, but permanent role salaries for the same thing seem to have collapsed to a point where many companies are paying half what I get paid after umbrella costs! The flip side though, is the erosion of my old social welfare entitlements through not having paid class A PRSI and huge problems in accessing credit due to forcible self employed status.

Back