Weekend in Manchester to see a Man City game. Tips/ideas?

beffers

Am giving my brother a 40th birthday pressie of a week end away to go see his beloved Manchester City play a home game at Maine Rd. Flying out Sat morning, returning Sunday evening. Any ideas as to a good hotel near the stadium? Would like it to be fairly close to Maine Rd, & to have decent restaurants within walking distance for a bite to eat on Sat night. Would also like it to be within walking distance of interesting stuff to do on Sunday morning/afternoon. He will be going with his wife who is a big bargain hunter shopper, so if she can bag a bargain or two on the trip, she will be a very happy camper. Any ideas of fun stuff to do in Manchester on the Sunday morning/afternoon? It's been 20 plus years since he or I have been there. Cheers. Thanks.

The City of Manchester Stadium/Eastlands/Ethiad stadium is a couple of miles outside of the city centre ( my sister lives near it) Maine Road is long gone!

I don't think there any hotels nearby, but they would be only a short bus or taxi ride from the centre and there are plenty of hotels there, and of course being a big city hundreds of places to eat, depending on what they fancy. We have stayed here a couple of times, 5 minute walk from Piccadilly train station and very handy if they are flying then getting the train to the city centre.
http://www.theplacehotel.com/ it's ok, can be a bit noisy though.

There is the Malmaison and MacDonalds Hotel also nearby which we looked at last time we went over and seemed ok from the outside at least.

As for shopping, you have pretty much everything you need in the centre of town, if you haven't been there for 20 years it can be a shock how much it has changed and grown.. Most people recommend going out the Trafford Centre for shopping but I wouldn't be bothered with it, it's basically a big mall and I find wandering round the streets of the city more interesting.

This site might give them some ideas of what is on when they are there

http://www.visitmanchester.com/discover/what's-on.aspx#/home.aspx

Agree on the Trafford centre, it's that same as any mall.

Woth checking to see what is on in the Manchester Arena, great venue for concerts

Back