Renting a TV while TV being repaired by Komplett?

D

Dub4747

Hi all,

We bought a 42 inch Sony Bravia TV about 2 years ago and recently it has starting acting up. When we turn it on the screen is completely messed up like it is layered on top of itself a few times over. This resolves within 30 secs-1 minute. Also there is some weird dark hue that has formed across the middle of the screen - this can be seen most clearly when a large amount of the TV screen is white.

We emailed Komplett where we bought it and they tried to fob us off saying it was out of warranty and that we had to go to Sony. Luckily we knew this wasn't true and my husband replied back quoting some consumer law that essentially means that we could expect that a product like this TV would be expected to still be in full working order at this stage and if not the seller must offer to fix, replace or refund it.

Once he went back with that info they took us seriously and have offered to take it away and fix it - they are hoping this is the cheapest option for them to try and rectify the issue. Good result although we'd really just prefer our money back :)

Anyway, this however could take 2-3 weeks or longer. Now we are not TV addicts or anything but we have Sky+ (lots of stuff recrded on it to watch eventually), we do like watching the news, some shows and my husband watches a lot of football in HD at weekends now that the season has started back up. We also have a young child and like to be able to put on the odd kid's show or DVD for a few minutes peace ;-) So we are not happy with the though of no TV for up to a month!!

Komplett say they don't have to supply a replacement TV for us but I think this is not true. Surely if they sold us a product that is now damaged and must be repaired we are due a replacement in the meantime? Does anyone know where we stand on this?

Also if they don't have to supply us with a replacement is there any place we can cheaply rent one for a few weeks?? We live in Dublin city centre.

Thanks a million x

You are not entitled to a replacement while they repair your TV.

Campbell's on Kimmage road do TV rentals.
Leo

Thanks Leo but I rang them and they don't do rentals. They said they gave it up years ago and that "no one does that anymore". I hope someone actually does - anyone else know of anywhere?

I found one place but the cost is €146 per week to rent a TV!!!!!!!! Sure I could practically buy a new one for that!! :mad:

Ah, OK, I guess as the price of TVs has come down so much there isn't a viable market there anymore.

You could try the likes of Jumbletown/ Freecycle, if you're lucky/quick, you might get a freebie that will tide you over. Alternatively, you could buy a cheap second hand on buyandsell/adverts.ie.
Leo

Dub4747 _ I am afraid I can't help you with your rental query but would be interested to know how you get on with the repair/replacement. We too are having a problem with a Sony Bravia..have a look at this thread I posted

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=158961

We have been back and forth with Sony and the retailer. Sony are still refusing to help but have said they will look at our case again if we get an engineers report. The dark hue seems to be fairly common problem, see here
[broken link removed] and here
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1245224

I went back to the retailer and quoted an email response I got from National Consumers Association, stating they had to refund, replace or repair if the item did not last a reasonable time. Finally today they sent out one of their techie types from the shop who took one look at it and said it was definitely panel failure. It is now being sent to the Sony repair centre in Dublin ( for which I have to pay €100 for collection). What happens next is anyone's guess but I am going to stand my ground for a replacement or free repair.

JP1234 that is just unbelievable!!! I cannot believe they have tried to get out of responsibility for that! That looks like a very serious problem. We did not even bother going to Sony. The retailer is taking the TV back to repair it but WE have to pack it up and deliver it to them!! :-o How the hell do you easily do that with a 42 inch TV?!?! What a joke.

How are you getting on? I hope you get our repair. My husband is a real techy person and he swears he'll never buy a Sony again :mad:

I only went to sony because the man in shop said we had to try them first as it was outside the warranty. I knew he was wrong but decided just to play along. the NCA have advised us that if the retailer refused to replace/repair or refund we can take them to small claims court, so now I am gathering as much evidence as I can in case we have to go down that route. The fact that the problem is fairly common and the set has not lasted anywhere near the time it ought to, should be convincing enough. I would much rather we didn't have to do that, it's a local retailer with by and large a good reputation but we are both fed up with being brushed off!

The standard life for an LCD TV seems to be 60,000 hour switched on, that is roughly 6 years, 24 hours a day.

Our TV was taken away yesterday, now we are being told it will take 3 weeks just to be assessed. Thankfully we have a smaller TV in the bedroom which we are using downstairs. Thankfully all we had to do was unplug the set, they bubble wrapped it before taking it out of the house.

I agree, I will never buy Sony again. After years of trusting them, phones, dvd player, mp3, they have really let themselves down.

Back