2 screw drilled into a heating pipe. How much for a plumber to fix?

kenken

Hi,

A friend of mine was putting a few floorboards back down in my house after I had some work done. I just noticed that he drilled two screws a small way into one of the two pipes that run from the gas boiler to the hot tank. I haven't moved the screws and it's not leaking but it needs to be fixed!

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost for a plumber to fix the two holes that have been made by the screws?

If it's a heating pipe, the system will have to be drained down, leak fixed (which will take 10mins max) and the system refilled. The draining and refilling will take much longer than actually fixing the leak. Could take up to two hours max. Don't know how much plumbers charge in Dublin. Ring one and find out what the hourly rate is. When you do find out I'd love to know too!

If the plumber does his job right he should add inhibtor to system when he refills, cost €20 max.

Cheers Davy! When I get a price I'll let you know, and if anyone has a rough idea how much, let me know.

What's an inhibtor?

It's an agent that prevents corrosive elements in the water from attacking your system from the inside. It will happen over the long term. Most boiler manufacturers will not honour the warranty unless it is added.

unless your goon plumber has a freezing kit, then the whole job should be under an hour!

hi kenken,
how much did you get your heating pipe fixed? I put the carpet down on my landing and a nail hit into the heating pipe and it leaked. i got a plumber to fix it and he charged me € 70.00.

Doesn't seem a bad price: travel each way, time spent making the repair and, the most important bit, knowing how to do it.

Back