Larkfield, Lucan

aishling99

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about larkfield in Lucan, thinking of buying a house there. It seems to be a little bit dearer than the estates around it even though its not in st marys or esker parish.

Thanks

Larkfield is a nice Estate, nicely finished and has always been more expensive than the surrounding areas. It has always had a good name. I lived right beside it in Liffey Valley Park at one stage for five years. However, I am not sure that the premium for Larkfield is any longer justified. Whilst the estate itself is lovely, I did not think the surrounding areas were brilliant.

There is a load of new apartments/duplexes just finished in the Estate and also the far end of Larkfield is adjacant to a a Council Estate. If you were after that kind of Estate within that area, I think Bewley further up would be a better bet.

Larkfield is a nice area, but beside a council estate as previously stated. Check out Larkfield any anytime apart from 10pm-6.45am (these times are fine) and madness - the traffic is chaotic going Lucan bound. There is a large park (Hermitage Park) right infront of it so plenty of amenity space. Shops (Ballyowen Castle) are close-by also. In addition you are only 5 minutes from Liffey Valley and the area is served by the excellent 25A bus route.

There are apartments which have been related to an asbestos problem which haev been lying idle for the past 5 years - worrying.

thanks for the replies.

Whats the asbestos problem, haven't heard anything about that or can't find anything on the internet.

Do you know if there is any trouble from the council estate?

The Council Estate stretches right across the back of Larkfield. It had been a small council estate, but has been made much bigger in the past three or four years.

Also Larkfield is quite near Ballyowen Lane, which has a travellers housing estate at the top The speed at which cars drive up and down that lane is awful.

I dont know if the Residents of Larkfield have had any trouble from the Council Estate, but it looks quite rough. I lived in Liffey Valley Park, and we had no bother from it, but it is actally nearer to Larkfield (some of it)

I did not know that about the asbestos, but now that I think of it, those apartments were taking a fierce long time to finish.

I had heard that some of the residents of Larkfield were complaining recently about people parking going to the nearby Mosque, but I dont know how true that is.

Larkfield to me looks like a lovely estate and when it was first built was really highly sought after. The entrance to the estate looks terrible though, completely unfinished (obviously due to the asbestos problem which I have just learnt about) there has been an orange digger there for as long as I can remember, it really looks like an unfinished building site and god knows how long it will remain that way. Also for the price you pay some of the gardens are actually backing on to the council estate which I really wouldn't be happy about after forking out all that money. I don't know if there is any trouble from the council estate but it certainly doesn't look the best (I pass it every day on the bus).

The estate (drove up there today) is like your bog-standard council estate with broken bottles and litter strewn across the road, but that is not going to be of your concern. The huge unfinished (I'v been playing football in Hermitage Park for the past 15 years and remember the apartments being started approx. 8 years ago) apartments make the place look ugly, but within the estate it IS a quiet one and has some nice dul-de-sacs.

Wasn't aware of travelers up Ballyowen Lane, but again that won't be really you concern if they are not directly near you. The only thing off-putting IS the traffic problems. (in my opinion)

As someone who has lived in Larkfield since the summer of 1999 (we were the sixth family to move in), I'd just like to give my tuppence worth...

First of all, the 'asbestos' story is completely new to me. Guessed there was something wrong as they have being lying idle for nearly 4 years now (slight exaggeration GA001). It does make the entrance to the estate look very untidy indeed.

Our estate is a quiet one, thankfully, with relatively little crime or unsocial behaviour. The council estate is/was a big concern. It was actively fought against at the time but to no avail, much like the Drugs Treatment Centre which unfortunately is now being built opposite St Edmunds. Although the council estate is an eyesore, I have not heard of any direct trouble from it.

The houses were built, by Fitzgibbon Brothers, to a very high standard. I've absolutely no problem with the houses themselves. Most folk within the estate keep to themselves. It's ideally located for shops, buses, M50, Liffey Valley etc etc

In summary, Larkfield is a beautiful estate in the wrong area. I know this might sound a bit snobbish, but when you're surrounded by filthy council estates, Drug treatment centres, halting sites, it's only natural to think this way. Basically, if you decided you want to live in Lucan, then Larkfield is as good as you're going to get. That said, if Lucan is not the be-all, then another area might be better advised...

I highly disagree that if you want to live in Lucan then Larkfield is as good as it gets. There are a lot nicer estates which don't back on to a counsil estate or have such close proximity to a halting site and a drug treatment centre and that don't have asbestos problems. To imply that this is the best you will get in Lucan with all these down sides is absolutely ludicrous.

hi

The council estate with caravans would put me off buying in Larkfiled.The larger house are nice but the 3 bed have a kitchen to the front and is very small.Not sure if they even have a utility room.I would try near Adamstown like finnstown or Hillcrest.In my opinion a better area.If you have a large budget Laraghcon near the strawberry beds have fab 5 bed detached for over €million euros.

I kind of agree that Larkfield is a beautiful estate in the wrong location.
I dont agree though that its the best you would get in Lucan for your money. If it were me personally and I was buying in Lucan again (though five years was enough for me) , I would only buy nearer the village, Chalet Gardens, Kew Park, Vesey Park, Roselawn, those type of areas and these are serious money. Cherbury Park is also a decent area on a tighter budget.

Some of the houses in any of these areas not be as nice as Larkfield, but I would consider the sourrounding areas much better.

And how do people view these other areas? Hermitage, Haydens Park, Grange Manor, Johnsbridge.

I aint asking people to bad mouth these areas, just looking for peoples opinion on these areas as they are of interest to us in looking for a new house.

I think Hermitage is a really nice estate. My Uncle used to live there and I always thought it was lovely and it appears to have matured well. I don't really know the other estates Sainttoff so afraid I can't help you there, are they all quite new? I recently bought in Lucan so if I can help you out just let me know.

Hi Dee;

Those other estates are up on Griffeen Avenue where new Centra shop opened up. Think we are kinda stuck between larkfield and Hermitage!
But think both are good estates.

And how do people view these other areas? Hermitage, Haydens Park, Grange Manor, Johnsbridge.

My biased view.
Don't know about Hermitage but the other three estates are very good. Safe, friendly and the only anti social behavior i have witnessed in 8 years is some graffiti and the odd small tree being broken.

Ah I see. The 4 beds in Larkfield really are lovely and probably more modern (and a bit bigger) than Hermitage. Its a toughie. If it was a 3 bed you were buying I would be more help to you because thats what I researched when I was buying. At the end of the day you will just know when you really love somewhere. Larkfield is by no means a bad estate, its just unfortunate about the front of the estate not being finished and the counsil estate nearby and that, but I have been in it a few times and its lovely and quiet. Hermitage more mature and closer to the village....You will know which one you really have your heart set on.

Out of the four estates you mentioned, I think Grange Manor would be the best option.

Hermitage was very nice at one stage, still a quiet enough area, and I dont think there would be that much going on in the way of anti social behaviour but the downside for me is that there are a considerable amount of rentals in it (definitely moreso than Grange Manor)

Back