Larkfield, Lucan

jonnyhotspur

whats johnsbridge like? and what are johnsbridge and grange manor like for busses, would you have to walk up to finnstown to get bus?

thanks

jonnyhotspur

whats johnsbridge like? and what are johnsbridge and grange manor like for busses, would you have to walk up to finnstown to get bus?

thanks

Johnsbridge is very nice.
The 25x stops close to the entrance of Johnsbridge. This is the Expresso bus and doesn't go through all the Lucan estates. Check this site:
[broken link removed]
The buses labeled Griffeen Avenue are the ones you want.
The normal 25a goes from Arthur Griffith Park. About 5-6 minutes walk across the GAA pitch. Lots of these but they take longer to get to town as they go through Foxborough and Chapelizod:
[broken link removed]

The mortons bus goes up Griffeen avenue also. Their site is under construction at the moment.
http://www.mortonscoaches.ie/

Hi jonnyhotspur;

have you notice or heard of any problems with houses facing onto parks in that end of lucan at all?

Also is there much of a parking issue in Grange Manor?

any issue with flooding there anymore or is that completely solved?
Problem solved. Grange Manor and The Old Forge got the worst of it. The river Griffeen had to go through a smallish pipe under Griffeen avenue. It got clogged with builders rubble "allegedly". The river had no where else to go. I saw a man from South County Dublin release all the water from the estates by knocking a hole in the wall at both sides of the road. The water gushed down and flooded the village.
Since then a lot of money has been put into the drainage. The river bed was sunk about 2 metres and new storm drains put in.

Hi Dee

Can I still ask you some advice about 3-bed-mid-terraced houses in Larkfield estate? It looks bit smaller but seems well-built and quiet area. Do you think the council houses nearby might affect something bad to Larkfield area?

Thanks

Ah I see. The 4 beds in Larkfield really are lovely and probably more modern (and a bit bigger) than Hermitage. Its a toughie. If it was a 3 bed you were buying I would be more help to you because thats what I researched when I was buying. At the end of the day you will just know when you really love somewhere. Larkfield is by no means a bad estate, its just unfortunate about the front of the estate not being finished and the counsil estate nearby and that, but I have been in it a few times and its lovely and quiet. Hermitage more mature and closer to the village....You will know which one you really have your heart set on.

Hi Billy,

To be honest I'm not sure what affect (if any) the council estate has on Larkfield. I was just really put off by it being right beside it to be honest. Some peoples back garden walls back directly on to it and its not very attractive. I haven't heard of any major hassle though. What would bother me more to be honest is the front of the estate and the unfinished apartments. They have been sitting that way for the guts of 4 years now and it really ruins the look of the place. It would annoy me if I was to pass that digger and the building mess every day. Also I have heard that getting in and out of the estate at peak times is a nightmare as the traffice is completely backed up there. I don't live there though so this is just opinion. I definitely liked the house when I was looking, it was just the other factors that turned me off.

Hi;

I agree with Dee in what she is saying. My partner and I were very interested in a 4 bed there last Oct, we bid on the house but they didnt accept it and then we had a good think about it and did some more research into it. We couldnt find out a proper reason for the apartments at the front of it for not been complete. We thought it was current climate but they have been like that for over 2.5 years, council didnt know the reason either. The estate behind it did put us off but also the houses are highly price for some reason, even though they are not in the right parish for the schools!.
But they are nice houses.

The reason the apartments were not finished was to do with an Asbestos issue, I was told.

I knew someone who had a 3 bed mid terrace house in Larkfield it was a quiet area but the house was small enough inside and over three storeys(dont know if they are the ones you are looking at) He bought from new and made a massive profit a couple of years back, but felt the whole place was very claustrophobic.

That Estate is nice, though the surrounding estates are not brilliant. For the prices of Larkfield, I would think there is better value in other areas of Lucan.

I see a 3 bed mid terrace up for sale there for 345k. That sounds about right to me, its prob one of the cheapest 3 beds you can get in Lucan now and I think the reasons mentioned re the estate are factors in the price drop. You might get a bargain at 320/330.

Hi;

We heard about the Asbestos issue and got our councillor to look into this and he said they never heard anything about it.

But you never know who to believe or not to believe :confused:

Does anyone know if there are any good primary schools near Larkfield? What are the parish schools?

Thanks

Think your Parish and NS would fall under Lucan South (Balgaddy) Ours was and we were the estate adjacant to Larkfield. Most people did not send their children to Archbishop Ryan N.S. and I think most went to the School Further up beside Bewley Estate (is that Educate Together school?)

HI;

Larkfield falls into South Lucan parish and I know some people had problems getting their children into other schools in other lucan parishes! The School up by Bewleys suffered some fire damage a month ago or so, so not sure how that will effect enrollement numbers for schools!

If your looking for parishes with schools, suggest esker or st marys.

There are apartments which have been related to an asbestos problem which haev been lying idle for the past 5 years - worrying.

These wouldn't happen to be the Foxford Court apartments, would they?

As someone who grew up in Beech Park, I'd say that Lucan Heights houses are the finest in Lucan. Fine big sturdy houses with massive back gardens and a short walk to the village. Plus you'll be closer to the Luas feeder line at the old Jet station if that ever materialises (the Luas - not the Jet station)

Back