Tenant ignoring notice of termination

I do think that there is precious little recourse for the landlord if a tenant starts playing silly buggers with the rent. Another set of tenants could easily have dug in for months as others have said.
I do think though that such an occupation is a fundamental breach of the landlord's property rights and I would be interested to see this tested directly in Court rather than mess around with the PRTB. I would have thought you could petition the court for an injunction against the tenant and thus have the Guards on your side for evicting them. Obviously a potentially expensive route though...

I don't think anyone's calling for security of tenure for people who don't pay their rent.
... they're calling for more rights and security of tenure for tenants in general, which in turn means it will make it even more difficult for landlords to evict tenants who can't / won't pay their rent.

Have experienced non-paying tenants both here and in the UK, where the tenancy laws are very similar, and there is absolutely no protection for landlords who have mortgages to pay and are unable to do so because the tenant stops paying the rent.

Update:
Following the responses in this thread I visited them to remind them the lease had been terminated and they needed to get out. I didn't push for arrears to be repaid. Gave them a deadline that the house would be need to be evacuated by Friday 11th or things would get ugly (not in a physical sense - but notice to council, small claims court for arrears etc).

Lo and behold, the house is now back in my possession!

Well done Amgd28, you did exceedingly well there. You just chalk this up to experience and move on. Great end to this story.

Back