Nationwide PIAB Solictor fees

nevetsb

Hi,

I am interested to know roughly how many hours work is involved for a Solicitor to make a Submission to the PIAB.

The reason I am asking is I was unhappy how my original Solicitor was handling my case, I subsequently went to another firm for advice, I was advised by them to ask for the bill to release my file as they would take it over, I was made aware approx what the cost should be to obtain my file.

When I approached my original solicitor and told them I was unhappy and wished to move, I asked them to give me the cost to release my file. To my shock I was given a bill of costs in excessive of 10k just for professional fees this does not include the cost of Medical reports ect.

After given this to the new solicitor, I was advised that they could not morally take over the case as they would be liable for this 10k + and that I should go back to the original Solicitor and have them continue and at the end have the fees taxed by a taxing master as the figure they deemed as outrageous for a PIAB submission. The PIAB subsequently released the case to be pursed in the courts during this time.

When I approached my originally Solicitor again and asked them to continue they refused point blankly and issued me with a bill of costs.

The information I was given was to contact the Law Society about the excessive fees. After contacting the Law Society they have told they cannot determine whether the costs are high due to the Solicitor having the cost drawn by a professional cost drawer

The Injury sustained was a fractured vertebrae which took 4 months before the proper diagnosis was made, I was unemployed at the time so no loss of earning was sought.

I have written to the Law Society again and I am awaiting a response. I simply don't want to be jumping from the frying pan into the fire about how I deal with my current situation.

I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and how it was resolved

Any input would be great

There is no set fee for personal injury cases.

In your case, presumably, there was an initial consultation with solicitor. He would be entitled to be paid for that. He then had to complete the IB form, which would have taken perhaps 30 mins. he is entitled to be paid for that. he would have requested medical reports and he is entitled to his fee for the time spent on that, as well as the fees spent on the report(s).

The figure you quote seems excessive in the extreme. He seems to be basing it on what you would have recovered had the case gone all the way to the High Court.

After the initial consultation, he should have sent you an estimate of fees, or if that was not possible, his schedule of fees, such as the hourly rate etc.

I don't know where you live, but if it is in a small town, you need to move to your nearest big town/city to get advice from another solicitor.

There is no necessity in fact for you to have a solicitor involved at all in an IB case. It is a simple case of filling out a form, sending it off with €45 and a medical report and then going for whatever medical examinations the IB ask you to go to. If you feel that you are not improving, you can send them a subsequent report and can always wait until the award is made before going to a Solicitor to see if it there or thereabouts.

I forgot, IB have now issued an Authorisation, meaning you are free to pursue in Court, so you WILL need a solicitor. Follow suggestion in para 5 above.

Last edited:
Back