windows 7 / 8 menu query

Westgolf

Hi All,

I have a Fujitsu laptop with windows 8 installed and also the old version which I prefer personally. The problem is that every time I mouse from right to left I get all the windows 8 sidebars appearing or it pops up the user account interface. Also the alpha keys go crazy, I type W and it closes the open window etc. Driving me slowly and surely nuts, Please help

westgolf

Ah the charmless charms. Windows 8 has two user interfaces (the tried and tested you are trying to use and the irritating and so mouse-unfriendly Modern UI) and in attempting to charm touch screen users it has managed to create one of the most diabolically annoying interfaces ever!

Try these links for tips on how to disarm them

Good advice So-crates.
As to guinea pig users in our organization they revolted and asked to go only to Windows 7. Their advice was universally, give up and use Windows 7 unless you need a touch interface. Or at wait for the another "fix" MS is soon to release with better support for mouse users. Or plug on at Windoz 8/8.1 frustrated at every turn that nothing works quite the way you expect. There are nice features, faster operation but all in all the experience is frustrating.

Desktop is desktop and touch is touch and where they meet at the moment in Windows is a mess. Imagine a car with no steering wheel. Sorry for the rant but I hate when things are broken unnecessarily.

I use a Start menu replacement from startisback.com. Gives you a configurable menu akin to XP/Win7 with great functionality for pinning regularly used applications and documents. Also let's you configure which gestures bring up charms/Metro interface (as few as possible where I'm concerned). It's free to try for 30 days, and then something like €2.99 to buy. I decided it was a small price to pay for my sanity.

I use a Start menu replacement from startisback.com. Gives you a configurable menu akin to XP/Win7 with great functionality for pinning regularly used applications and documents. Also let's you configure which gestures bring up charms/Metro interface (as few as possible where I'm concerned). It's free to try for 30 days, and then something like €2.99 to buy. I decided it was a small price to pay for my sanity.

+1 I agree dub_nerd, I just don;t understand why MS can't listen and provide an official version skin like this for desktop mode to "assist" transition. I mean the mouse ain't doing away soon.

UPDATE : Apparently MS are listening, this looks more hopeful http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/03/windows_desktop_updates/. I'd guess a Q3-Q4 release if history is anything to go by, fingers crossed. Until then sticking with Win7 for desktop seems the best option.

Last edited:
I use Classic Shell Free and allows you to use any kinda start menu from 98, XP, W7, etc.

Once you turn off Metro using this, Windows 8 works the same as Windows 7/XP. I prefer Windows 8 once I turn off Metro. Its takes like 20 secs.

Theres no reason not to use Windows 8 when you can turn off metro so easily.

I'm perfectly happy with Win 8 too once I can have my start menu. However I'm not sure if it's that simple for a novice user -- various Metro apps are set up as default handlers for various document types. I've found Win 8 takes a while to configure away the bits of it you probably never wanted in the first place. However, it's very stable, performs well, and is allegedly more secure than previous versions.

If a user can't do this. I'm not sure you should be using a computer. They'd be their own worst security risk. Never mind XP.

click the file you want to open.

Press and hold down the SHIFT key while you use the right mouse button to click the file, and then click Open With on the menu that appears.

Click the program you want to use to open the file, and then click OK.

NOTE: "Always use this program to open this type of file" makes it happen everytime

Perhaps, but what a stupid way to have to define what it is you want your computer to do :)

You'll have to explain what you mean. Its not defining. Its redefining the default. There's a few different ways. But I don't see why clicking on the file you want to open is "stupid"

You can define the global setting somewhere else if you like.

If its a one off, you can also drop the file on the application icon you want to open it. You can open the file from within the applications.

It similar on most OS'es.

If a user can't do this. I'm not sure you should be using a computer. They'd be their own worst security risk. Never mind XP.

Lack of familiarity with setting a default programme is hardly grounds for suggesting people should not be allowed to use computers. Many people have quite happily used computers for years and never once needed to change the default programme for a particular file type. In fact I would hazard most people never consciously do so. It hasn't precluded them from successfully carrying out many tasks that they needed/wanted to do on a computer. Also I fail to see how familiarity with such a task would provide any sound indication of their security risk.

You'll have to explain what you mean. Its not defining. Its redefining the default. There's a few different ways. But I don't see why clicking on the file you want to open is "stupid"

You can define the global setting somewhere else if you like.

If its a one off, you can also drop the file on the application icon you want to open it. You can open the file from within the applications.

It similar on most OS'es.

From your post...
1) click the file you want to open.
2) and hold down the SHIFT key while you use the right mouse button to click the file
3) then click Open With on the menu that appears.
4) Click the program you want to use to open the file, and then click OK.
5) NOTE: "Always use this program to open this type of file" makes it happen everytime

That is a four-step process with an additional check, involving two hands to do something that most people would not (generally) have needed to do in previous Windows versions for standard file types because the default defined suited the medium they were working through. Then they have the plague of repeating the step for other file types. It is a considerable change for most standard users and not a welcome one or one they would view as providing any benefit to them whatsoever, it would be (and is being) received as a nuisance ... Meets my definition of "stupid"

Ah the charmless charms. Windows 8 has two user interfaces (the tried and tested you are trying to use and the irritating and so mouse-unfriendly Modern UI) and in attempting to charm touch screen users it has managed to create one of the most diabolically annoying interfaces ever!

Try these links for tips on how to disarm them

@socrates: perfect fix, Sanity restored

Lack of familiarity with setting a default programme is hardly grounds for suggesting people should not be allowed to use computers. Many people have quite happily used computers for years and never once needed to change the default programme for a particular file type. In fact I would hazard most people never consciously do so. ...

Its not setting a default programme. Its changing from the default. You don't have to do it. There is a default app already assigned. Same as always.

...I fail to see how familiarity with such a task would provide any sound indication of their security risk.

Generally if you can't learn a simple task you are unlikely to be able to manage a more complex one.

...That is a four-step process with an additional check, involving two hands to do something that most people would not (generally) have needed to do in previous Windows versions for standard file types because the default defined suited the medium they were working through. Then they have the plague of repeating the step for other file types. It is a considerable change for most standard users and not a welcome one or one they would view as providing any benefit to them whatsoever, it would be (and is being) received as a nuisance ... Meets my definition of "stupid"

It not a change. It works the same as it always did. They can still used the default app. That's not what has changed.

What has changed, and this was dub_nerds perfectly valid point was that there are new apps. So if you want to set it up to use the old apps, you have you change the default from the new app to the old app. But if people never changed the default in the past they'll probably not change them in w8 either. So they can continue not learning how to change the default associations.

dub_nerd is also indirectly raising another issue, that of app switching. But as you haven't raised it, I'm not going to. ;)

I don't see it as that big a deal. People have a much bigger mountain to climb in being security aware on the web 2014. You can't simply refuse to learn that.

I don't think metro works on a desktop/laptop. Its entirely pointless interface. But of course the primary (IMO) reason it exists is not to improve the user experience. But to provide a platform for web apps and games like apple does.

Back