Which Name a Star site?

shesells

I know that you can't really name a star but there are lots of websites out there, too many really, offering the opportunity to "name a star" . I did this before years ago to help a young child deal with her grief at losing her brother. Being able to look at the sky and point to a specific area and "know he was there" was really important at the time, and continues to help. Sadly another young child has lost a loved one and I want to do it again but I can't find the emails from the site. But which site to use? Last time I chose a star in Orion which is an easily identifiable constellation, something like that would be really helpful again.

just curious how does this work
do they send you a star chart with your name printed beside the stars/constellations
or just a cert stating your name associated with said star

could you just make up your own , as you said yourself you cant name/buy a star

Last edited:
The last company I used sent out a certificate, a star map and co-ordinates. The last time I did it it was a for a child in the US so I probably used a US site. As it happened, their Priest had been on the board of NASA (random I know) so had a super duper telescope and was able to find the precise star for the little girl.

There has to be a decent company here or in the UK that offers this service?

Back