My customer's account has been closed by the revenue.

Peter54

Hi guys,

I need some urgent advice please, if you could spare some time to answer my questions.

I am a trades person, self employed sole-trader. As you can gather work has been very scarce of late but I have been lucky, or so I thought, that I've had one construction company that hires my skill on a regular basis.

To cut a long story short, three months ago I was asked to take on further work by the same company. I accepted and floated the cost of the job myself, completed, invoiced them and awaited payment.

Three months later, numerous phone calls, letters and bounced cheques I still have received no payment.

I basically have had no income for three months and I have no entitlement to social welfare.

My last resort is to call a charity for assistance which I will have to do today because I have no money whatsoever. I cannot pay mortgage or bills.

Yesterday I got a telephone call from the CEO of the company, who owe me money, and he informed me that the revenue have put a stop on their company account while they are under investigation.

He was unable to tell me when or if the available funds they had would become available.

I honestly do not know what do do.

Any suggestions please?

The Revenue have the power to attach any bank account,or any monies owed to a company if they are in arrears of taxes.It sounds like this has happened to this company.

Absolutely Vandriver. The company has money to meet my debt but but their accounts have been frozen. This is like asking how long a piece of string - but how long does a Revenue investigation last?

They might have money to meet your debt(at the moment),but if they owe this amount or more to the Revenue,then guess who has first dibs!

It's a very unfortunate situation to find yourself in.

Did the CEO sound like he would pay you if his accounts were not frozen?

If so, could he pay you in some other form- materials or tools maybe?

I know it's not ideal, and won't put food on your table immediately, but it could be the best you will get.

Hi Callybags

No, there was no mention of paying me in any other form. The only promise I have is a wishy-washy verbal undertaking that the Revenue may or may not unfreeze their account.

I phoned their head office this afternoon and was told by the receptionist that there is other sub-contractors that have not seen any payment either.

I find it bizarre that this company is still allowed to trade even thought their account is " supposedly " frozen.

The Revenue are preferrential creditors and there may well be nothing left to pay unsecured creditors when there are finished. They are only there in all probability because they are owed a substantial amout or fraud is suspected. Good luck.

Revenue only "freeze" bank accounts as a last resort, so I imagine you are not going to have much luck in getting paid.

How many staff does this company have and how are they getting paid this week?

Back