RTE Digital Teletext - why bother?

RMCF

I would often use RTE teletext on Saorview to try to get the football results, and its service is awful.

Often pages that are meant to be such n such arent when you select them. Example tonight, on the scores page, there is SETANTA CUP, you go into it and no Setanta scores, just AirTricity 1st Division.

Also another one which happens often is, for example, EPL scores. You enter that and there can be 16 or 20 pages, and it starts with matches from a week ago, and you may have to go to Page 6 or 7 to get todays games.

Rubbish.

I agree. I also have a big gripe with them in that certain news items will not appear unless they happen around Dublin.

(Unrelated to the above, ye had a good night tonight with Barca losing! Woe is me! :()

I also find it takes them an age before they give the results for matches long finished..

They also usually have the cinema listings up wrong for my cinema

Yet people will still use them!

The sports results are really bothersome, I hardly use it any more - even when I do find the game/match I'm looking for, there are often errors in the scores or no scores entered!

Another gripe is the one line of text allowed as a headline, which sometimes doesn't include all of the headline (taken from the website or the old aertel?)

I have a gripe with the Lotto results pages too - they never show my numbers :D

The sports results are really bothersome, I hardly use it any more - even when I do find the game/match I'm looking for, there are often errors in the scores or no scores entered!

Another gripe is the one line of text allowed as a headline, which sometimes doesn't include all of the headline (taken from the website or the old aertel?)

I have a gripe with the Lotto results pages too - they never show my numbers :D

And Leeds don't win too many matches on RTE teletext either! :(

Well considering they were showing Drogheda and Shamrock Rovers live and a goal flash pops up for UCD it takes teletext 13minutes to update the system. Total joke of a service

After the LOI results at the weekend I decided to check out the standings in the LOI table. Cork City were promoted after winning the 1st Division last year but they weren’t included in the league table!!

Aertel is called Errortel in my house.

Sometimes when I am bored I look at the mistakes on it for entertainment.

Last weekend I missed The Late Late and hence EUrosong (no great problem). Until midday Saturday on Aertel a group called X had won the entry with a song called X...

I emailed RTE about this, here is reply
The digital version of our service is updated using a different system than our analogue service.

On analogue, all pages apart from stories are manually updated. Digital is moving towards a more automated solution. However, as you yourself can testify, it has not been fully integrated yet. This is the reason that you have not seen certain content update in a timely manner.

I am glad to report, however, that from March 20 you should see an improvement in the service because we are planning to have most of the fixtures, results and tables pages automated on Aertel.

It is likely that there will be a few initial hiccups, but please feel free to email me towards the end of March if you notice that there are still some unacceptable delays on the service.

Back